Main Menu

1970 Challenger V21 hood decal placement

Started by fc7cuda, February 11, 2017, 11:03:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fc7cuda

Hi,

I'm planning to install my V21 hood decal today.  Does anyone have the engineer drawing or specs. on it's precise location?  I can slightly move it around and see several placements that would look good on the hood.  Survivor pics would be helpful too.

Thanks
Tom :cheers:

Cuda Cody

I don't have any specs and not sure I've ever seen a sheet for the V21, but I float them in to position.  Lots of transfer fluid and then even more transfer fluid.  Then float the large decal in place (with transfer tape) and work from the center out getting all the bubbles out.  It's really tricky to get them on without any bubbles and straight.  Not an easy decal for sure. 

Roadman

Well, @ToxicWolf  and I attempted our first install of this decal today. We floated it, marked centers of hood, decal, worked from the center out. We started at the back and worked forward. Everything was going really great till we got to the front edge of the hood. Got a wrinkle, ended up ripping it off, ordering a new one.  :bricks:

ToxicWolf

Quote from: roadman on February 11, 2017, 01:56:53 PM
   Well, @ToxicWolf  and I attempted our first install of this decal today. We floated it, marked centers of hood, decal, worked from the center out. We started at the back and worked forward. Everything was going really great till we got to the front edge of the hood. Got a wrinkle, ended up ripping it off, ordering a new one.  :bricks:

The reason the wrinkle formed is I tried to bend down the part that goes under the front trim too soon.  The front of the hood is not strait across and that cause the crease.  Needed to wait longer for the main part of the blackout to dry before bending it down.

Cuda Cody

Not an easy decal.  I make them myself so if I screw up I just cut a new one.  But I also have a ton of experience with decals as it's what I have done for 25 years.

When I get to spots that need to contour I use heat.  But now you're working with heat and fluid, not for beginners.  Like I said before, the V21 is not easy at all.

Quote from: roadman on February 11, 2017, 01:56:53 PM

fc7cuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 11, 2017, 12:07:22 PM
I don't have any specs and not sure I've ever seen a sheet for the V21, but I float them in to position.  Lots of transfer fluid and then even more transfer fluid.  Then float the large decal in place (with transfer tape) and work from the center out getting all the bubbles out.  It's really tricky to get them on without any bubbles and straight.  Not an easy decal for sure.

Thanks Cody.

It's not the process that concerns me, it's the location on the hood.  Since there's no real specs to go from, I'll laid it where it looks correct.   :lookatthat:

RUNCHARGER

Lucky they're cheap (well relatively). I think the worst one was on my 71 Charger with an airgrabber. You try to square it up around the airgrabber opening but that's a small opening in the middle of the decal. The outer edges have no real hard lines in the nearby sheetmetal for reference either. I put hundreds of large decals on containers (40"x50") and got pretty good at it. I started out wrecking lots of them using helpers and ended up not wrecking many with no helper. I kind of laugh looking back at it, I built it from 65 containers to over 200, we changed the name of the business twice though so I applied them 200 X 4 per container but 3 different times and of course I had to pull the old ones two times. I'd try to do 10 cans a day (40 decals) before my arms got tired and the wind is not your friend.
Sheldon