Main Menu

1970 Cuda hood spring attachment

Started by usraptor, September 13, 2017, 05:00:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Recently finished restoring my hood latch, spring, and safety spring in a brownish original (I hope) color.  While installing them today I noticed that I'm apparently missing a piece that fastens the hood spring to the latch assembly.  Can somebody please tell or show me what attaches to the pictured bolt and then I assume the spring to hold the spring in place.

anlauto

You hood latch plate is missing the tab, it appears to be broken off. Always something to check before painting a car. I guess now you'll have to Macgyver something else to work, good luck :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on September 13, 2017, 05:17:24 AM
You hood latch plate is missing the tab, it appears to be broken off. Always something to check before painting a car. I guess now you'll have to Macgyver something else to work, good luck :alan2cents:
You sure Alan?  It looks like he has the rear tab that the spring coil goes under on the rear and the little hoop on the front. That should be all there is.

Put a smear of grease on the bottom of your spring to help from scaring the paint. Put the straight part in the hoop on the front and twist the spring so the rear goes under the tab at the rear. Done!

anlauto

It's possible.........On my monitor at this time in the morning looks like the shiny part on the top looks like where the tab is busted off ?

I hope for his sake, I'm 100% wrong  :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

usraptor

Thanks Shane and Alan.  I'll check and let you know.  I guess the bolt being in the middle of the spring had me confused thinking that something must attach to the bolt.  Did you guys by chance see my post in Electrical re my wiper arm linkage hitting my cowl?  I'd be curious on you take on that issue.  As always, your help is really appreciated by this amateur.  :worship: :clapping:

usraptor

Okay, talk about feeling like an idiot.  Anyway, just checked and installed the pop up spring just as Shane described.  It was so easy I couldn't see the forest for the trees so to speak.  Alan, the tab was not broken, just didn't show the bent over part with the black paint.  That bolt just really threw me.  I was sure that it had something to do with how the spring was connected.

Now another stupid question. I noticed on the hood just above and slightly to the right of where the spring would hit the hood when closed there are two small screw holes.  Does something mount there to prevent the spring from scraping the paint on the hood?

anlauto

Well that's good news....
I guess I was over thinking it too.....I figured if the two tabs were there, there should be no reason why you wouldn't be able to mount it  :dunno:

Shane Kelley

Nothing goes on the hood to prevent the spring from eating the paint.  Only holes I can think of are to the left for the hood safety catch. I put a rubber cap on my spring to help prevent the spring from eating the hood paint. 

usraptor

Here's pictures of the two holes.  Upon closer examination they don't look like screw holes but possibly "body" holes.  Shane I like the cap idea.  I'll have to do that.  Excuse the dust in the picture.  Car needs a good detailing right now, especially being black. 

Shane Kelley

Yes.  I believe those are possibly drain holes.