Main Menu

1970 Cuda Tail light panel paint finish

Started by signsgonebye, March 15, 2020, 10:49:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

signsgonebye

Was the Black on the tail light panel of a 1970 Cuda flat black or satin?

anlauto

More flat then Satin for sure. It was typically painted with organisol black paint from the factory which would also have a varying degree of texture to it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

signsgonebye

Topcat

From my archives:

If you want the 88% correct textured finish you must use DDL9355 Lacquer. 88% correct because the texture additive changed slightly from the orig. If you want the catalyzed, semi-gloss, smooth sheen finish enamel it's DCC9355...
Organisol Black Revised 01-2009

You must lay the paint down wet or the texture will stand up instead of lay down and you will have an extremely rough finish that attracts everything.

Use the slowest thinner you can find and add some retarder as well if it is above 80 degrees. If possible use over black primer.

Allow surfaces to dry for several weeks before painting cover coats. This is important.

Put 2 light cover coats of semi gloss black over grey primer, allow to dry at least 24 hrs or more before organisoling

Use a gun with a big tip 1.4mm or larger

Cross coat the large area surfaces in 3 directions –eliminates streaking of texture diag first, short length, long length with overlapping passes. It must go on wet.

Test spray before committing to car. Practice a little. Use SLOW thinner !!!! Lay on WET!
Do not lay on dry, paint horizontal.

Patience!!!!! Thin per instructions min 150%

After getting full coverage of texture typically 4 coats thin each progressive coat 25% Use your judgment Think about 6 coats.

Allow each coat to dry for at least 30 min.
Allow each coat to dry for at least 30 min.

Texture must cover surface completely-there should be no gaps in the texture. The purpose of laying it on cross coating & wet is to get the texture to lay down. I am no expert, but I do paint and I have done my fair share of wresting with this paint.

Edge it in with a touch up gun,

Use fine line tape on all paint edge breaks

Do the bottom side of the hood first-part of your practice

Paint All other surfaces at the same time as the top side of the hood.

Make sure grille is out of the car

Across the tops of the fender & across the front header panel be sure to add 1 extra coat of Organisol to resist the long term wear of the paint from stones etc..

Also...
That is correct it is ppg concept DCC 9355 and gets reduced 6 parts paint 2 parts reducer and 1 part hardener. The stuff looks great and is some tough stuff with the hardener.

I used lacquer at first and had gas run out my filler tube and it change the color. That is when I took the lacquer off and put the concept with hardener on and have not had a problem with the spilled gas since. This is on my tail panel of my Cuda.

When you spray this stuff make sure you have a good respirator as this is some bad stuff if you inhale it. It will make you sick and I found out the hard way going in after I had sprayed the stuff a hour later and was sick.