Main Menu

1971 Challenger Side Scoops ?

Started by anlauto, December 02, 2020, 07:15:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudino

I bought a pair of those Alan, I think they are from a place called Josh's Muscle Car Parts.  I have a restomod I'm in process of building and these will go on that car.  I test fit them and they seem OK.  However, I'm nervous about how well the studs will stay in place over time.  The studs are just mounted to small mounds of built-up fiberglass, as you can see in the EBay ad.  I think you can get them cheaper by buying direct, but recently I couldn't get anyone to answer at that store.

Plus, I had a hiccup with Josh's.  I bought this pair 5+ years ago, but when I finally got around to paint them I realized they had sent me two Rights.  Ugh.  That's why I tried to call them recently, but no luck.  So instead of buying another set of these, a few months ago I bought a different set, via Amazon from some place called Southern Auto Parts.  This set was a little more expensive but seems much sturdier, and the backside looks thicker and more solid rather than those fiberglass mounds for stud mounting like in your ad.  I test fit these new ones as well and they fit roughly the same as Josh's. Now I have 3 Rights and 1 Left to choose from, but unless something happens I'm actually planning on using the sturdier pair.

- Wade

71vert340

My son put a set of the fiberglass scoops on his 71 back in 2004. They're holding up well. I had my doubts but no problems yet.
Terry

Marty

I put a set on my 1971 about a year or so ago. I didn't use the drill pattern supplied though. I found the OEM measurements online and then drilled the quarter. I don't recall why I didn't use their pattern at the moment but I'm sure there was a reason or I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of looking. They were very good reproductions and fit just fine. Couldn't tell you who I got them from either.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

mccannix

Those originals on ebay are a good buy....
Offer $250.00 and I bet you are in.

anlauto

Quote from: mccannix on December 03, 2020, 05:04:49 AM
Those originals on ebay are a good buy....
Offer $250.00 and I bet you are in.

Hate to waste originals on a "resto-mod" type car  :alan2cents:

@69BFan are the ones sold by Josh a DCS product ? Do you stock these ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cudino

Quote from: Marty on December 02, 2020, 10:53:56 PM
I put a set on my 1971 about a year or so ago. I didn't use the drill pattern supplied though. I found the OEM measurements online and then drilled the quarter. I don't recall why I didn't use their pattern at the moment but I'm sure there was a reason or I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of looking. They were very good reproductions and fit just fine. Couldn't tell you who I got them from either.
I tried to use that paper template that came with the set I got from Josh's, but it only got me "in the neighborhood" and wasn't much help.  However, my quarters have been replaced so in fairness I'm not sure I can entirely blame the template.  Plus, in my case I had 3 different repop Righthand side scoops to choose from, and I noticed that all 3 had somewhat different stud patterns.  If you end up using repops you'll likely end up drilling/oversizing holes to match those particular scoops, that's basically what I had to do.

I think Tony's Parts was advertising some originals.

- Wade

anlauto

DMT sells the plastic gaskets for them, They fit original scoops perfectly, so I just used them for my template  :alan2cents:

I couldn't find them on Amazon, so I'll likely wait and see if Richard has any, if not I'll give Josh a call.

Cudino

Here's a link to the ones I bought recently from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784X8JV1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These didn't come with the black hard plastic gaskets, but the set I got years ago from Josh's had them (or maybe I ordered them separately, I don't remember).  I'm still debating whether to install these gaskets or not, it seems like this hard plastic gasket will look very visible around the scoop.

All 4 of my scoops are actually at the painters shop now, but I'm picking them up tomorrow, so this weekend I can send you pictures of the backsides of both versions if you want.

- Wade

anlauto

Thanks for the Amazon link Wade :bigthumb: Looks like they are no longer available on your .com and they were never available on our .ca, I find that a lot with stuff... :crying:

Post some pictures next week if you can...I'm not buying anything just yet.. :drinkingbud:

Marty

Quote from: Cudino on December 03, 2020, 09:04:15 AM
Quote from: Marty on December 02, 2020, 10:53:56 PM
I tried to use that paper template that came with the set I got from Josh's, but it only got me "in the neighborhood" and wasn't much help.  However, my quarters have been replaced so in fairness I'm not sure I can entirely blame the template.  Plus, in my case I had 3 different repop Righthand side scoops to choose from, and I noticed that all 3 had somewhat different stud patterns.  If you end up using repops you'll likely end up drilling/oversizing holes to match those particular scoops, that's basically what I had to do.

I think Tony's Parts was advertising some originals.

- Wade

You triggered something. You're right. The studs didn't match the locations on the template. My Challenger had original sheet metal so your replacement quarters were not the issue.

Cudino

Quote from: anlauto on December 03, 2020, 01:36:02 PM
Thanks for the Amazon link Wade :bigthumb: Looks like they are no longer available on your .com and they were never available on our .ca, I find that a lot with stuff... :crying:

Post some pictures next week if you can...I'm not buying anything just yet.. :drinkingbud:
@anlauto Here's a couple pictures of the 2 different repop scoops I bought.  The one from Josh's has the visible fiberglass on the backside and, as you can see in my side view pic, is much thinner.  The other one is quite a bit thicker and weighs about twice as much.  I probably would have been happy with the ones from Josh, but once I held both in my hands the sturdier one just feels better.

- Wade

anlauto

So we just need to find out who makes those ones ?

Cudino

Oh, interesting, I just tried my Amazon link again and they now show these scoops are back in stock...

- Wade