Main Menu

1971 Cuda horns

Started by vinsar, June 13, 2019, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

vinsar

I ordered a set of horns for my 71 Cuda, they are made by OER, supposedly an "authentic restoration Mopar part" They spec out MH109 for 70 to 71 Cuda's and MH108 for 72 to 74 Cuda's. I got the MH109 and the "lo" note horn has a bracket that is not oriented correctly. I studied OER's pictures on their website for the two part numbers and it almost looks like I need one horn from an MH109 kit and one horn from an MH108 kit so the bracket orientations are correct. The horns mount on the right side fender apron near the washer tank. Any help would be appreciated..

anlauto

Nice to see that these are available in reproduction, but they are totally wrong for any 70-71 E Body.
1970-71 E Bodies used Prestolite horns which look quite a bit different in the shape of the opening and also have a bolt holding on the bracket so you can make adjustments. :alan2cents:

These might do in a pinch, do don't expect wrong parts to be correct.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

vinsar

Thanks Alan,
I kind of thought so. Problem is I don't have any so I thought they might work..You wouldn't happen to know where I can get a set of the correct ones?

Claudia

I agree.  I bought the exact same set of horns for my '71 from OER and they are not really even that close to the originals so I ended up selling the brand new horns.  I was lucky enough to get a set of working original horns that didn't cost me an arm and leg.

JS29

On my 70 barracuda the horns were missing, tony fixed me up. tonysparts.com.  :alan2cents:

vinsar

Update on the horns....I removed the brackets and re clocked the brackets (drilled out the spot welds and re welded them) they look pretty good in the car and can send a pic to anyone that wants to attempt it...

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: vinsar on June 26, 2019, 04:46:02 PM
Update on the horns....I removed the brackets and re clocked the brackets (drilled out the spot welds and re welded them) they look pretty good in the car and can send a pic to anyone that wants to attempt it...

Post it up please...I'm short one horn on one of my 70 Challengers so I see this in my future.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Claudia on June 14, 2019, 11:24:53 AM
I agree.  I bought the exact same set of horns for my '71 from OER and they are not really even that close to the originals so I ended up selling the brand new horns.  I was lucky enough to get a set of working original horns that didn't cost me an arm and leg.

Curious, where did you get the correct working horns?  :)

JS29

@HEMICUDA     @TONY  Hooked me up, There is a place that rebuilds them if you have nonfunctional core's. A friend sent out a pair for a truck I am restoring and they were a  :perfect10:

HEMICUDA

Quote from: JS29 on July 04, 2019, 10:11:22 AM
@HEMICUDA     @TONY  Hooked me up, There is a place that rebuilds them if you have nonfunctional core's. A friend sent out a pair for a truck I am restoring and they were a  :perfect10:

That was an inside joke, the horns came from me.

JS29

Quote from: HEMICUDA on July 04, 2019, 10:50:51 AM
Quote from: JS29 on July 04, 2019, 10:11:22 AM

That was an inside joke, the horns came from me.
Did not know that!  :-[

Claudia

Quote from: HEMICUDA on July 04, 2019, 09:05:22 AM
Quote from: Claudia on June 14, 2019, 11:24:53 AM

Curious, where did you get the correct working horns?  :)

@HEMICUDA  :dunno: Some guy with a bunch of e-bodies had one good set of horns left that he reluctantly let go of . . .  :worship: :bradsthumb: :rofl:

RUNCHARGER

I took a non working Road Runner horn apart and got it working. There's a set of points in there you can clean up.
Sheldon