Main Menu

1971 Rear Bumper Guard Question, Not Flush With Lower Rear Valance W/ PICS

Started by Daveh, July 18, 2017, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hi guys,

I just installed my new rear bumper in my 71 Challenger convertible.  It looks great.  I went to install the new AMD bumper guards and they seem to sit out pretty far from the rear valance.  I do have the bracket for the bottom of the guard but it still leaves it out sitting pretty far.  Any thoughts?

I don't want to force it, for one I really can't and I don't want to force the bottom in because It would eventually chip the new chrome on the bumper.  What are your thoughts?  Is it sitting out from the valance acceptable?  Thanks

I'm using the AMD # 0106-980-2570 guards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00THJVRAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave

Cuda Cody

Can you post a photo?  I've not had very good luck with the AMD bumper guards.  They just didn't fit good for me either.

Daveh

Here are the pics.  I bought the AMD mainly because of their reputation.  Funny side note is that I know I had bought a set from Dave at Roseville years ago and couldn't find them until after I installed the AMD brackets.  Both sets look to be the same.  I may have to take one off the car and try Dave's just to be sure.  What a pain.   :angry: 

Now remember as you're looking at them they are just snug that's why the cardboard is there I didn't want to chip up the new chrome on the new bumper.  I'm thinking of unbolting the valance where it bolts behind the license plate and shimming it out from there.  That me give me a little more wiggle room.  Thoughts yes - no????

Let me know what you think. 

Voodoo Child

Mine are also AMD and they fit like shit! The joy's of aftermarket!

Daveh

Yup just like mine. I agree it may be what it is going to be. I should have welded in plates on the valance and not even used the brackets. I like the clean look without them. But it's painted already.

1 Wild R/T

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Daveh

I'll see if I can track some down.  If anyone has any  leads please let me know.  Thanks

Daveh

Plenty of NOS on EBAY but way expensive.  $300.00 bucks each side.  Yuck.

Cuda Cody

Not the best angle, but here's an original one.

Cuda Cody

GrandpaKevin

I have a pair of 1971 Challengers to compare.

First two pics are of my June built R/T with slotted bumper.
I think this is the original bumper and original guards.
All the brackets and mounting hardware looked original when I took the bumper off.
The guards are tucked in pretty tight.

Second set of pics are my wife's January built 1971 R/T with non slotted bumper.
This car was redone back in the late 80's, I'm not sure what, if any, repop parts were around back then so I'm going to guess the parts are factory ones.
I don't have a clue about the odd looking chrome carriage bolts on the guards.
These stick out a bit more that the first car but are still pretty close.

Daveh

They look great I'm thinking of modifying my second set and having them re-chromed. It's gotta be cheaper than $600.00 for the NOS ones on EBay.