Main Menu

4 speed hump

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 21, 2020, 06:57:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Whoever worked on our 70 Challenger before us did some stupid stuff.  I want to verify that the work that they did on the 4 speed hump is correct.  They had started the conversation to a 4 speed car and had welded in the 4 speed bump.  Is there anything they were can do to verify that they put it in the right place?  Also, the front part of the tunnel is dented up pretty badly as it has been pounded over to make it wider.  I am about to replace the left front floor pan and need to figure out if the tunnel / hump is right.  Lastly, there is a large square hole that I assume is where the shifter comes thru,  but should that other hole that is further forward be there?
Thank you.

Rich G.

The only hole should be the shifter. Looks like it has a console bracket on too. If you're replacing the floor I'd replace the 4 speed floor piece too.

gzig5

Your car was an automatic with a console. The smaller hole in front was where the torque shaft went down the transmission.  It should be patched closed.

HP2

That doesn't look like an E body 4 speed hump, it seems too short. Maybe its a B body unit.  An E body hump runs nearly from the gas pedal to the shifter location and would eliminate the torque shaft hole altogether.

edison1970

Looks like the correct hump. Just someone butchered the front half of it that extends toward the firewall.

70 Challenger Lover

It might be easier to just get a new one and install it correctly. They aren't hard to locate but if you prefer to deal with what you have now, you might want to drop the engine and trans in with the shifter just to verify the hole is in the right spot and the shifter rods don't rub anywhere.

RUNCHARGER

By the floor ridges at the rear of the hump it looks like it is in the correct spot.
Sheldon

larry4406

Attached are pictures of my 71 Barracuda vert with automatic console being converted to a 4 speed.  I used an OEM hump that I chiseled out of car at the junk yard.

The hump literally registered perfectly with the grooves in the floor plan and self aligned.  I traced the perimeter of the hump, then offset this traced line by the width of the flange, left the floor plan section in place at the cross member, then welded it in place.

Hopefully this is useful.

GoMangoBoys

Since we are replacing the LH floor pan and feel that this will be harder to do with that hump already there, combined with the fact that the hump is poorly installed, my boy ran over to Summit last night and picked up a new AMD 4 speed hump.  I feel that this will give me an easier and overall better job in the end.  The reality is that if you think this hump looks bad in the picture, it is way worse looking underneath.

Also, is there anything that shows me where the console bracket goes.  I was planning to measure where it is relative to the shifter hole and put it back in the same place.  The problem with that plan is that I don't know if it is in the right place now.  I do have a console now, so I plan to just tack it in then test fit the console.  Since I have never seen one totally put together, I am not sure if I will recognize a problem.

anlauto

Ask and you shall receive  :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

Got a new AMD 4 speed hump from Summit last night.  Did some cutting today.  Hopefully some welding tomorrow.  Thanks for those who gave input.

GoMangoBoys

Tomorrow the console bracket gets installed.  Thank you to all who helped me with this.

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

Wow making quick progress, I like it :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration