Main Menu

70 Challenger Convertible Well Trim Molding Removal

Started by schlett7nu1, September 27, 2018, 09:30:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

All
I'm looking to remove the three piece well trim moldings and have them polished.  The car is a 70 Challenger.  Please provide guidance on how to disengage the retainers from the three trim pieces without damaging the clips, trim, or body paint.  Is there a special tool to assist in this?  Anyone with experience doing this job who could provide guidance would be appreciated.
thanks
Dereck

1 Wild R/T

The side pieces are screwed on from underneath, 4-5 screws per side.....  The center piece is secured with clips...  I use a short 2x4 & a hammer go slow, bump it move bump it move... After 3-4 passes across the trim should slide right off....

anlauto

With the top in the down position, it might still be difficult to get a good grip on the screws for the side pieces  :thinking: I've always removed/installed the trim with the roof off the car. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

schlett7nu1

I appreciate the great info.  I didn't realize there were underside screws on the side pieces.  I feel a slight protrusion of the screw heads.  They are buried under sealant/dum-dum.  I'll retract the top and locally clean off the sealant.  Thanks for the guidance.  I'll post how it goes.

1 Wild R/T

I've done it top on & top off... The dum-dum is a pain but it keeps the screw heads from digging into the top.....   If leaving the top on the tool of choice is....

schlett7nu1

Got it.  I'll pick up the stubby screw drivers.
thanks