Main Menu

70 Challenger different size bolts hood to hinge

Started by 70RTSE383, July 07, 2019, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

My son and I were installing a new AMD hood and found the bolts that go from hood to hinge are larger than the original hood. . My original hood uses 5/16 and both AMD hoods I have use 3/8. Did Chrysler up-size them along the way?
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

70RTSE383

Thanks, after changing the hood and looking at the small size of the original hood bolts they do seem pretty small.
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

anlauto

71 and up use larger bolts so AMD just made "one size fits all "  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

5/16" in 1970 and 3/8" for 71 to 74.  The hood hinges also went through some redesigned over those years too.

70RTSE383

thanks guys. with every vehicle I have there are always differences between the first year and the subsequent years.

John
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

6bblgt

'70 model year stated with 5/16" bolts & hoods without "crush zones"
first redesign was to add the "crush zones" still utilizing the 5/16" bolts
next revision upped the bolt size to 3/8" & redesigned hinges

the "flat hood", "sport hood" & "SHAKER hood" all went thru this progression, at different dates & as available inventory was depleted (or as left-over stock was found)

Mpdlawdog

I've been looking but can't find an answer....I don't have any of the hood bolts that mount the hood to the hinges...So they are 3/8 By how long????  Thanks!!!

RUNCHARGER

An inch long usually does it. Just make sure they aren't too long and run into the inner structure of the hood. Maybe 1 1/4".
Sheldon

ply64post

Quote from: Mpdlawdog on September 14, 2020, 06:16:03 AM
I've been looking but can't find an answer....I don't have any of the hood bolts that mount the hood to the hinges...So they are 3/8 By how long????  Thanks!!!

Mpdlawdog

Here is information and references for the hinge fasteners from Dave Wise's E Body fastener book.
The red outlines the fastener head stampings used on the hinges.
                                                     Jeff

Sorry I tried to turn the first page over,but they are all in my file right side up and when I download the first page it is upside down.