Main Menu

70 challenger RT wrong fender

Started by kent_goins, September 22, 2018, 09:16:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

Can someone tell me if the passenger side fender with the notch in the gusset plate is incorrect see pics attached . Trying to figure out if one of my fenders is an aftermarket or is incorrect and if I have to replace it

kent_goins

Here's the driver side fender

Chryco Psycho

IMO it has been replaced , the notch was not needed in 70 , my car was the same , low miles & 1 fender was notched , it was in perfect shape so I welded up the notch

Cuda Cody

Passenger side = 1971

Driver side = 1970

anlauto

:iagree: Also notice the location of the hood-stop. The square nut is piacular :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kent_goins

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on September 22, 2018, 09:42:56 AM
:iagree: Also notice the location of the up-stop. The square nut is piacular :thinking:

I think the square nut for the "hood stop" showed up on the post-'71 production "NOS" '70-'71 fenders

RUNCHARGER

Lucky thing is you can fix it without touching the exterior paint surface.
I bought a set of new fenders in 1979 from the Chrysler dealer and the notched ones were what I received.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

If it's a NOS fender are you thinking of just leaving it as is?  The car is already painted, right?

kent_goins

No I want to replace the right fender because I want to be a 70 And yes it is already painted sad to say

Cuda Cody

Yikes, that could be very hard to get a new fender to match in color and it might take a lot of body work to get it to line up.  Not sure I would take that on for the small benefit.  It's your car so you get to do anything you want, but take a bit of time and think it over.  I can tell you that AMD fenders will not line up and almost any fender you get is not going to be a bolt on and paint situation.  :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

I ended up with a nice notched right fender for my T/A restoration.  The shop used a section off a damaged 70 fender to replace the notched section, as the rest of the fender is the same.
I'd look at doing something like that with this fender rather than trying to find a good or NOS fender.
Maybe you wouldn't have to repaint and match the paint on whole fender to go that route.

6bblgt

:iagree:  I would repair/repaint just the under hood mounting bracket/area (make it a mirror image of the LH fender)
- the exterior repaint will never match the rest of the car

750-h2

Its not a big deal. That's how NOS fenders come. If it bugs you that much just have your body guy "but weld" a patch in there and repaint that section only.

340challconvert

Fenders are an interesting subject
The yellow rt side fender I took off as I work on my early 1970 A66 vert that came with the  e-60-15 rallye wheels factory.
It is an original fender and has the end notch only

The second picture; In 1980 I picked up two nos Challenger fenders thinking that sometime in the future I would need them. They both have the end notch as well as a U shaped notch that is there on all 1971 Challenger fenders (never noticed the differences back then.) All original 71 fenders should have the U shaped notch.

What is more interesting is the part numbers on the back of the NOS fenders; part numbers 3579624 and 625. These numbers translate to 70-71 TA fenders. (of course there was no 71 TA) but listed in the parts exchange manuals of the day.

There were three sets of fender part numbers for the 70-71 Challenger
3419878-79 - all Challengers except F60-15 tires or Challenger TA
3579380-81 - described as all 70-71 Challengers with F60-15 tires except TA
and finally the 624-625 fenders that I bought back in the day prescribed for the TA w "special wheel well radius"

I am thinking that the NOS pair I picked up (they were in the back of the dealer's storage room were sitting and they wanted them gone were the late 70-71 fender that they made available for all 70-71 Challengers just before they went NS1

My original 70 A66 fender early build Oct, 1969 has the L shaped notch.
I have owned the car since 1979 and know the original owner- fender never replaced.

Let me add to the confusion further;
One other difference; the location of the bumper stop threaded/welded nut is in a different location from my 70 original, only on the  left NOS (drivers fender) and is a square nut like Kent's picture. My NOS passenger side fender bumper stop nut is in the same location as my original 70 fender and is star shaped.

Those fenders could both be factory, depending on if they are original or on the time they were installed/purchased and replaced.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible