Main Menu

70 challenger se rear window vinyl roof mould position

Started by 70rtse, April 04, 2019, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70rtse

Hi guys can any one tell me exact position of this se rear mould under vinyl roof  goes back  panel under window was replaced and there are no holes.
I have put the clips in the c pillar need the distance from bottom of window to the top of the stainless trim.

Also a picture of the correct cips to use

anlauto

Once you have the ends where you want them, the rest should lay down comfortably, and that where it goes. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

RUNCHARGER

Sorry, no idea on the measurements.
Sheldon

headejm

@70rtse  PM me and I can give you the various measurements you are looking for. My vinyl top is not on my SE right now and all of the trim holes are exposed. I can also show you the trim mounting hardware.

70rtse

Thanks guys and headejm I sent you a PM

I put the drip rail moulds on today and I think I got it right just need to know how many holes,what clips are available for me to use and size of hole.

Does this look right.

headejm

70rtse

Would i need to put the thin stanless mould onto body to hold vinyl down or would i just be able to use the thick stanless mould and use a fuw more clips

I havnt got the this stanless strip.

headejm

:alan2cents:

My opinion is that the thin SS strip has a purpose (or Chrysler wouldn't have used it). If it were my car, I would either try to find a used one, see if it is reproduced, or make one.

I would probably make one or something close. I would definitely use SS. Since the entire piece is curved to fit the contour of the car, it might be difficult to make it as one piece. I'd try to make smaller straight pieces, maybe two or three along the back.

Make sure you smooth all of the sides, corners, and screw holes.

Material is 0.05" thick and 0.345" wide.

70rtse

Are they the same on all vinyl  roof cars or is se different

headejm

750-h2

I do not believe this thin moulding was used on non SE cars. With the SE window plug in place there was only about 1 inch of roof left to glue the vinyl top, while non SE cars had around 4 inches.   

headejm

With the SE plug in place, there is 4" of roof to glue the top down.

autoxcuda

The thicker S/E vinyl top molding is contoured completely different.

I sold a S/E molding to someone that already put the thin molding on his car. They had to repaint and put a whole new top to put the correct molding on.

There is a reason they have a different contour. The smaller window changes the proportions and spacing between the smaller window and the standard molding.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

750-h2

Quote from: headejm on April 30, 2019, 08:34:18 AM
With the SE plug in place, there is 4" of roof to glue the top down.

The SE plug sits a little lower than the window opening. From the factory the plug is covered with a thin spongy material before the vinyl top is installed. That is why you need the small securing moulding as you only have about 1 inch left for the glue. Another option is to have your body man secure the plug to the window opening and have him build up the plug with body filler until it is level with the top of the inside ridge of the plug and flush with the body on the outside edge of the plug.