Main Menu

70 Challenger Window/Roof Brace Repair

Started by Fmt662, January 10, 2021, 02:00:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fmt662

HI all,

Hoping to get some advice on how to repair this part of the window/roof brace on my 70 challenger. I swear every time i look at something on this car I find new holes through the metal. Today is the upper part of the passenger window opening...the brace that the drip rails attach to. I'm not doing a full factory restoration but also don't want to have to revisit this in a couple more years, so how would you recommend to fix this?

I've found a piece for the 'cuda from AMD, but not listed for the challenger. Is there a suitable alternative to pulling the whole roof off and fabbing a new piece?

https://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-upper-outer-sail-panel-connector-to-roof-brace-rh-70-74-plymouth-barracuda-p-23651.html

jimynick

That's a bit of a toughie. There's 3 schools of thought here: 1- plug it with a short fibre fibreglass filler, 2- your aforementioned replacement or 3- carefully cut out the rotted corner section and make up a replacement small L shaped patch and weld it in. Since you've got the interior all out, you can get in and seal/rustproof your patch from the back side and unless the car sees a lot of weather and rain or is stored where it'll condense inside it, you should be good to go for quite a while. As for your finding more rot every time you get into it? Get used to it, unfortunately. The vast majority of us have been there and done that. Don't give up, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"