Main Menu

70 Cuda Fender Fasteners

Started by SeventyTX9RTRag, March 22, 2023, 04:57:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SeventyTX9RTRag

I have been looking at different Cuda's and have noticed that on some cars the fender fasteners under the hood attaching to the inner fenders are both bolts with the head exposed under the hood or threaded bolts with the nut under the hood. Is this an assembly time frame issue? The AAR I just sold was a very early build AAR with the bolt heads exposed. I have seen other cars with bolts through the fender with nuts. Hope this makes sense. Here are a few pictures showing what I am talking about.

70_440-6Cuda

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

mk

I am curious about this as well  ....... some have 3 nuts with studs on the center of the fender.
Not sure if it is just AAR's or if all Cuda's were like that in a certain time frame.

Mr Cuda

Studs with large washer kep nuts in the middle 3 fender attachment is correct AAR/TA.
It was studs instead of bolts so extra shims could be put under the  fender lips, to help align the fender to the bowed fiberglass hood.

SeventyTX9RTRag

Quote from: Mr Cuda on March 22, 2023, 05:46:15 PM
Studs with large washer kep nuts in the middle 3 fender attachment is correct AAR/TA.
It was studs instead of bolts so extra shims could be put under the  fender lips, to help align the fender to the bowed fiberglass hood.

Could be after a certain time frame. Take a look at the unrestored AAR I just sold. No studs and washers, but it is a very early car. As I recall first week of production.
One picture was right after I got the car. PO took the paint off the original intake.

SeventyTX9RTRag

The black car has the fasteners like my old car. Both the black and green car were at MCACN. I thought I had pictures of Tim Welborns original paint AAR's but can't locate them.

anlauto

Quote from: Mr Cuda on March 22, 2023, 05:46:15 PM

Explain this original paint AAR  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

Hey, you guys have all the pictures proving my comment wrong.
I have something somewhere that talked about the hood bow problem.  Maybe those 3 examples are early,  and the stud and nut started later.
I've only had my hands on a couple, and never logged vins or date.

SeventyTX9RTRag

So given we have three pictures of original paint cars and all have bolts no studs with nuts is it possible the aftermarket and Resto process is studs with nuts? Or is it a production time frame question?

I never picked up on this while I owned the car just after I sold it and have been looking at other cars.

anlauto

The FF4 AAR I posted belongs to the original owner who is a member here, I restored it a couple of years ago...Here's the current FF4 AAR I'm restoring, also mostly original paint... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Jocigar

Since I watch graveyard at night when i'm too exhausted to actually work on my own car, I remember he said that factory used some studs so they could quickly hang the fender in place, then bold down the rest.   not sure if or how that applies  :dunno: 
I expected a mix of both when I heard that.  Maybe this has nothing to do with AARs

anlauto

Well if Mark said it, it has to be true :looney: :haha: :haha:

EV2RTSE

I wonder if it's a build date thing too, this one has studs, April build
https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-462448/1970-plymouth-aar-cuda/

The moulin rouge survivor looks like a March build and has bolts
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0123-539312/1970-plymouth-aar-cuda/