Main Menu

"70 Cuda Go Wing install on a '74 Cuda deck lid

Started by Mopsquad, January 09, 2018, 05:22:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

Hello all and Happy New Year!

I've had my '70 convertible for over a year now.  I'm hoping to install a '70 Go Wing on it but recently realized that the builder used a '74 trunk lid.  I thought it to be odd that they cut this corner on such a high dollar build.

I'd like to avoid purchasing a '70 deck lid and have to paint match.  Can I use the '70 underside brackets and cut as needed?

IMG_2009" border="0

Chryco Psycho

Yes you can use the 70 wing & brackets you should just need a couple of rond hole cut with a hole saw to get the studs through

Mopsquad

Fantastic! Thank you.  I assume the underside curvature and stamping is the same for '70-'74 deck lids - so the brackets will butt up appropriately?

Jim AAR

There's a very good post on here that has many pictures of trunk lids that should help you on where to make your access holes.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/underside-of-the-trunk-lid-whats-yours-look-like/641/msg8520#msg8520

Chryco Psycho

To my knowledge the stamping is the same but the access holes are different so the brackets will work , I have done this before years ago 

Spikedog08

Personally . . . I would leave the wing off.  Looks better without it IMO.   :alan2cents:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Jay Bee

Ages ago I bought a set of templates from "First Place Auto Parts". Their website didn't show any but it looks like Year One carries them.

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/challenger.cuda/body/spoilers/installation-templates

anlauto

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 09, 2018, 08:01:57 PM
Personally . . . I would leave the wing off.  Looks better without it IMO.   :alan2cents:

:iagree: I prefer a nice chrome luggage rack on a convertible if anything. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopsquad

Thanks everyone for your information and opinions.  Much appreciated! 

nsmall

Hemi, Shaker, convertible, sublime green.  Dang, you got it all.  But if you think a spoiler will top it off, go for it.  I will agree with others, car looks friggin awesome...sometimes too many accessories can distract and be too much.  Once you cut, that matching paint deck lid, well, hard to go back.

HEMICUDA

Locate where the holes are drilled on the top skin and drill all the way thru the bottom structure, make sure your straight.  Take the mounting plates and center the x2 holes and trace around the plate.  With a cutoff wheel, cut the hole smaller then bolt the wing on and be done with it.  The only tough part is locating the holes on the top shin.