Main Menu

Factory Markings on a 1972 Dodhe Challenger

Started by 72 Challenger, October 12, 2017, 11:03:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a car that is, in my opinion, pretty nice. However it lacks details. Since it was recently rotisserie restored I am looking to put some of the factory markings on the underside since my winter project is to clean it up and detail it. Does anyone have pictures of original factory markings like the markings on the sure grip, stampings, chalk marks etc? I am not trying to steal away someone's super knowledgeable restoration advice but these are the small things I love to add to cars and the details that I personally love seeing on restorations.

The car is a 1972 Dodge challenger Rally 340, 727 auto, 3.55 suregrip, Built in Hamtrack.

any pictures or advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Cuda Cody

I've not worked on any 72's so I can't tell you for sure, but the guides that @MMC Detroit  sells are really good starting points.  There's a TON of great info in there.  IMO they are well worth the money.

https://shop.mmcdetroit.com/products/icca-judging-guidelines-e-body-vol-1-jme-1

You can also find some free artwork for stamps here:

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-stamps-stencils-paint-ink-part-numbers/

Hope that helps get you started.  If you have specific questions about a part I'm sure one of us will be able to help.   :grouphug:

72 Challenger

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 12, 2017, 11:26:33 AM
I've not worked on any 72's so I can't tell you for sure, but the guides that @MMC Detroit  sells are really good starting points.  There's a TON of great info in there.  IMO they are well worth the money.

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-stamps-stencils-paint-ink-part-numbers/

Hope that helps get you started.  If you have specific questions about a part I'm sure one of us will be able to help.   :grouphug:

This Cody. Never realized a book like this existed. I think it's a bit over the top for my current situation but if I can't find any photos this may be my only option. I'm concerned it mostly focuses on 70-71 models. Can someone confirm or deny that?

Mrbill426

Seems like most of the available books, documents, shop drawings, etc focus on those first two years of production and leave the rest "hanging", even though there were changes made to the cars.  Did Mopar just stop printing the documents after '71 or did no body bother to collect them for the future?  :dunno:

Quote from: 72 Challenger on October 13, 2017, 03:29:31 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 12, 2017, 11:26:33 AM

This Cody. Never realized a book like this existed. I think it's a bit over the top for my current situation but if I can't find any photos this may be my only option. I'm concerned it mostly focuses on 70-71 models. Can someone confirm or deny that?

72 Challenger

I tend to agree that this book likely leaves out the sad lip challengers. So let's start easier.

What are the markings on an ebony 3.55 sure grip 8 3/4?

Vince P

Hi Scott,

I'm new to the forum and also have a 1972 Challenger Rallye 340-4 with the 3.55. I have attached a pre-restoration photo of the axle showing the markings. Hope this helps. 

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @Vince P   :welcome:  And thanks for the great reference photo.   :clapping:

JH27N0B

The problem with markings is that many of the paint splotches and crayon marks assembly line workers put on cars they worked on varied depending on who was at what station that shift, how much paint was left in their tin, how ambitious they felt that day etc.  From your picture it looks like at least some of your markings survive in good shape to document, so clean carefully and take lots of pictures and notes of what you find.
Otherwise you are just copying someone else's car.  Which is better than nothing, but you can't say your car is exactly like it was when it rolled of the line copying other cars.
Certain markings like stenciled on part numbers and even the painted lines on the bottom of the gear housing designating what ratio you had should be consistent for all cars, but the other markings are not.

72 Challenger

Quote from: Vince P on January 07, 2018, 10:45:36 AM
Hi Scott,

I'm new to the forum and also have a 1972 Challenger Rallye 340-4 with the 3.55. I have attached a pre-restoration photo of the axle showing the markings. Hope this helps.

Hey Vince I really appreciate this! It's pretty cool to see how each was treated differently.

However from my research the information presented by @JH27NOB is the most accurate way to go. I will put the paint daubs on the bottom and the part number if I can ever figure out what is the correct number to stencil on a 1972 E-body 3.55 rear end. Anything beyond that is a guess since no line or person had the same way of doing it back in 1972.

If I were a betting man I would put the X on it but that would be a guess.

I will add this photo to the collection though!

Vince P

I am trying to get more photos taken during the restoration of my car.  Hopefully they will show more detail of this area. If I get them I will let you know. I just bought the car from American Dream Machines in Des Moines, Iowa. Saturday I spoke with the previous owner who said that when it was sold to ADM he gave them a binder full of photos taken during the restoration. I just found this out and will call AMD today to see where the binder is.

72 Challenger

that's awesome! Post them up so the whole forum can see what some of the original markings were!

Mine was a complete shell when it was brought in for restoration most is not all of the original markings long gone.

Spikedog08

Always good information to have!  Very cool!   :twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!