Main Menu

Exterior door handles

Started by Cuda_mark, January 11, 2018, 10:26:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda_mark

Should the exterior door handles fit flush with the body once they are installed? I just installed mine on my doors and they stand proud of the door by about 1/16". They follow the contour perfectly and are perfectly centered in the opening but I thought they would fit flush.

340challconvert

Cuda and Challenger door handles came with different part numbers from the factory.  They will fit but using the Challenger handle on a Cuda will cause a gap. They are not originally the same!

Challenger.-  2999882/2999883.

Cuda. Barracuda/Cuda.-  2999816/2999817.

Search with the Cuda part number and the correct door handles will come up from different vendors.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Cuda_mark

Thanks for the quick reply. I know that the chally handles and cuda handles have a different shape. Thats not what I'm talking about though. My handles follow the contour correctly but they stand proud over that entire contour.

Cuda Cody

Aftermarket handles and sheet metal can all fit a little bit different.  Even factory stuff does not always fit great.  Normally I test fit all the handles and trim before painting the car. 

Since your car is painted, can you see what it is hanging up on?  Is it a gasket issues or is the back of the handles hitting the inside of the door frame?  It might be something that you just have to live with. 

Shane Kelley

72 Challenger

I once bought reproduction handles and found the gaskets were thicker than the OE ones. I cleaned up the old ones and re-used them and it fit correctly.
Someday I will have a J0b.

anlauto

They never sat flush 100% with the door  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jim AAR