Main Menu

70 vs 71 Challenger Hood

Started by GoMangoBoys, October 01, 2019, 10:35:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

The 70 Challenger that we just bought has an original hood in perfect shape, no rust, no dings.  I have the opportunity to pick up a 71 hood in almost equal shape, no rust, 1 small ding in the LH back corner.  My kid will be the primary driver of the car, so I am concerned about the safety aspect of crumple zone vs no crumple zones.  I figure the 71 hood is safer for my kid to drive.

Is the crumple zone the only difference 70-71? 

What are the relative values of these 2 hoods?  The person is offering an even Steven trade on them.  I am tempted to do it because 1 he is a good guy and 2 it is convenient.  I will not have to look for a nice rust free hood if I get this one. 
I just want to understand how much if any more is the 70 hood worth than the 71?

Burdar

With the addition of the crumple zones, the attaching bolt size also changed.  The 71 hood will have larger attaching bolts.  The 71 hood shouldn't have any holes in it for the DODGE letters.

tparker

Hmmm... I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if the difference between a 70 and a 71 hood is a cause for concern over safety, I would probably think you should be looking at a much later car. These older cars are not designed well for crashes. A modern car will be MUCH safer in a whole variety of ways. I'm not sure that it is THAT much safer all around.

anlauto

:iagree: My first thought too  :dunno:

I can't see much benefit with the 71 hood over the 70....but there is a bit of value difference only because 70's are a "one year" only hood and a little harder to find...

I say an even swap is worth it, if it gives you a tiny piece of mind when driving. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS23U

The crumple zone was introduced during the 1970 model year, so that is not really a difference between 70 and 71. My June 70 built R/T has the crumple zone.