Main Menu

71 Cuda Trunk floor replacement: From the bottom or top?

Started by docmel, November 26, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

docmel

I have a one piece trunk floor replacement:  Does it install from the bottom of the car, or from the  top  (trunk side).

RUNCHARGER

From the top, usually from the rear through where the tail panel is.
Sheldon

docmel

Not sure what you mean "From the tail panel"....The reason I posted is because its a one peice deal, and it looks pretty tight to get it in there.  Could you explain?

Mopar5

A one peice trunkpan in my experience requires removal of the tailight panel.I have heard of people that have gotten a one peice trunk pan in place without removing the rear panel but I cant figure out how they did it or if it was just  B.S.. Maybe someone here will have an idea that im not aware of.

anlauto

Yea...it's typically a big job if you weren't planning on removing the tail panel. You could cut the pan in half and re-weld it together...or maybe cut one end off over the frame rail location so you don't see the seem from underneath.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Xghobo

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 26, 2020, 07:24:31 AM
From the top, usually from the rear through where the tail panel is.

Agree remove tail light panel and slide it in

docmel

I have seen 2 piece trunk floors for sale.   I had a feeling why...............  I'm just cutting mine in half and install.   The trunk mat will cover the wleded back split, so does the gas tank

Rdchallenger

For your viewing pleasure...

Rdchallenger

Slides right in like a shelf... I stole the pictures from another board but can attest I did the same thing with my Challenger.

Skdmark

When the one piece trunk pans came out I recall there was a disclaimer in the advertising.
The disclaimer said the trunk pan would not fit unless either the tail panel was off the car or a quarter panel.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

Don't slice it down the middle, way too much work to weld back together and finish. Removing the tail panel would be way less work or slide it underneath the tail panel like above. I know underneath the tail panel works on B-Bodys but I'haven't done it that way on an E, looks to be the way to go.
Sheldon

jimynick

Here's another vote for keeping the one piece panel, one piece! Unless you're a nuclear grade welder, the bastardized 2 pc option stands out like a sore thumb and while you may not be thinking of a Barrett Jackson appearance, the absence of the automotive equivalent to a train-track appendectomy scar on the belly of Salma Hayek may be something you want to strive for. Your car, your call, but I'm just sayin'.  Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Mopar5

Quote from: jimynick on November 26, 2020, 02:21:35 PM
Here's another vote for keeping the one piece panel, one piece! Unless you're a nuclear grade welder, the bastardized 2 pc option stands out like a sore thumb and while you may not be thinking of a Barrett Jackson appearance, the absence of the automotive equivalent to a train-track appendectomy scar on the belly of Salma Hayek may be something you want to strive for. Your car, your call, but I'm just sayin'.  Just my  :alan2cents:
I have to respectfully disagree IMO a two peice panel if you take your time welding and finishing will have no noticable seam down the middle  . I do agree that a one peice pan is nicer but the tradeoff is if you remove the tailpanel you lose all the original spotwelds which are really cool. Which ever you do its not original and it will show in some regard.

Mopar5

Quote from: docmel on November 26, 2020, 10:51:58 AM
I have seen 2 piece trunk floors for sale.   I had a feeling why...............  I'm just cutting mine in half and install.   The trunk mat will cover the wleded back split, so does the gas tank
Keep in mind a two piece panel comes with a overlap flang in the middle so you can punch and spot weld it before you fully weld it. So I would suggest if you have to cut it down the middle use the thinnest cutting device you can and make a backing strip of the same guage steel and attach it or use copper backing and weld it really slow so it doesnt become a mess.

docmel

I thought you guys were talking the TAIL LIGHT PANEL, not the valance panel.   No way I was gonna remove the TAILLIGHT panel.    Even so, I didnt know you could slide it in after the valance was removed.  Im in, one piece installation.  Ive removed the valance panel before, and it wasnt a big deal.  Thanks guys.