Main Menu

71 R/T fuel cap

Started by rt71, May 16, 2022, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rt71

I need help finding a fuel cap that fits the fuel tube on my 71 R/T.  It has the flip top cover, and the original locking cap was trashed. Just hanging there.  I cannot seem to find anything that definitively fits the 71 model year.  I tried the Stant 10571 that some have used, but it did not fit at all.  Whatever works does not have to be a locking cap, just anything that fits.  any suggestions are appreciated.

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

YYZ

You can also try one of the generic locking caps from Autozone or others. Metal, not plastic.

The mechanism underneath is the same as the original locking caps that came under the flip caps, just with a different top.

YYZ

Here's a link to a cap that will probably fit, and my guess is that you could find it for less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202790819186?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jk7xgl6sQ6O&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=9yElURW6Qke&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The late Jules the Wiperman used to sell non-locking Stant caps that fit under the flip cap, but I've long forgotten what the part number was.  They were less than $10 and worked perfectly on my last '71 R/T

71vert340

Here's the 3 Stant caps I've found that fit my e-bodies. The 3rd photo gives other applications.
The locking one fit under the flip top cap on my 71 Challenger. I hope this gives you more info.
Terry W.

rt71

Thanks for all the help out there.  I'll get after it today and see if I can find one of those suggested here.

Skdmark

I've used the Stant 11583 on my 71 for 30 years.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

rt71

Stant 11583 worked perfectly.  Thanks!