Main Menu

72-74 Challenger Grill and Header Panel

Started by Cbridgewater, October 17, 2020, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cbridgewater

Is there a functional purpose of the grill and header panel being two separate pieces? I am wanting to make some alterations to the two and think my goal will be easier met if they are permanently attached to each other. Thoughts?

HP2

They were two piece to facilitate quick assembly on the line.

Cbridgewater

Ok, so I can combine the two pieces with no potential access issues. Awesome!

jimynick

Other than realizing that now if there's a small ouchie to the grille area, that you'll be removing/repairing/replacing the whole magilla. I've got a 74 and am interested in where you're going with this. Please keep us up to date with photos! Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cbridgewater

Once I get the courage to start I will definitely document it!

HP2

I've got an idea of changes I may execute to mine, but they will lead to removal of the original grill.

Cbridgewater

I purchased some honeycomb material that I am going to replace the original grill with, at least that's the idea at the moment.

7212Mopar

Post some sketches or renderings on what you have in mind. I am ok wit h the factory design but open to mods.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Burdar

QuoteI purchased some honeycomb material that I am going to replace the original grill with, at least that's the idea at the moment.

Cut out the original horizontal pieces in the grill but leave the vertical pieces there.  That will give you something to hold the honeycomb material.  You could even slightly notch the honeycomb around the vertical pieces on the back side.  That would let you inset the honeycomb more.  I think that would be a really nice mod to the factory grill.  It would still look like a 72+ but with a more modern look.

7212Mopar

My anodized trim piece is old and pitted, not shiny anymore. I had been thinking to take it out to sand down to smooth it out. finish painting it flat black.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cbridgewater

First I would like to trim the protruding portion of the header back back to the black sharpie line. Cut it, and glass it back. Then, some how permanently attach the grill section to the header panel, and replace the horizontal grill portion with the honeycomb material you see in the photo.

Cbridgewater

Ok, started this morning. The general idea is to recess the "nose"
portion of the header panel. You can see in the photos where I cut.

Cbridgewater

Cbridgewater

MoparLeo

Injection molded plastic grill and chopped fiberglass header panel. Sometimes things that look good at the car show are not practical on the street ( real world things can happen, like hitting something) Will be hard to fix center grill if it is part of the whole header panel.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...