Main Menu

72 rear valance and rear bumper installation advice

Started by nsmall, October 01, 2017, 12:14:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Sorry folks as I know I ask an awful lot of questions.

I'm doing the conversion to a 72 tucked in rear bumper and I remember mocking it up and it seemed easiest to put in the plastic piece that fits between the chrome bumper guard and the valance prior to hanging the rear Valance.

Long story short is it possible to hang the rear valance and THEN  later install the rwr bumper and rear bumper guards and plastic pieces or does it have to be done in tandem with hanging the rear Valance?

I need to get my car to the exhaust shop to rework the exhaust tips and everything related to the exhaust and I'm not sure I'll have time to deal with a rear bumper/bumper gurards/plastic pieces before then.  I know it will be a pain in the butt to pull the rear valance once the exhaust is hooked up so I'm trying to plan ahead.

My car just had a very expensive paint job finished and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks in advance.

nsmall

PS I have a Cuda.

Here are the notes I have regarding the installation...."Put the rear bumper on, then put bumper guard on with plastic spacer, Then hang lower valance"

Is this the best option?

My main concern is fighting with the rear valance once the exhaust is installed.  Thanks.

1 Wild R/T

Why would the exhaust fight you?  bolt the valance on, get the exhaust done, remove valance, install bumper then valance... No big deal... I put a terry towel around the tips to protect the paint..

Mrbill426

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 01, 2017, 01:29:26 AM
Why would the exhaust fight you?  bolt the valance on, get the exhaust done, remove valance, install bumper then valance... No big deal... I put a terry towel around the tips to protect the paint..

I couldn't have said it better myself  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Thanks.  I already have taken off the valance with the exhaust on there but I thought with the bigger exhaust I'm may have issues.  Thanks again.  Just being paranoid. 

RUNCHARGER

Not necessarily paranoid. I too am paranoid about scratching stuff in that area and was also going to suggest wrapping the tips with rags but Wild beat me to it. Clearances are tight there and it's easy to damage paint in that area. I also wrap my bumpers when mounting them.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 01, 2017, 01:29:26 AM
I put a terry towel around the tips to protect the paint..
Remember to take them off before your first cruise.... :)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill