Main Menu

72+ Cuda grilles - two different colors?

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, April 26, 2017, 06:54:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I am looking for a new lower grille and in the description this is being called a "later, darker grille".

Are the two colors shown correct? Is there a '72, '73, '74 year split for the two colors, or did they all get that treatment?

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 26, 2017, 06:54:14 PM
I am looking for a new lower grille and in the description this is being called a "later, darker grille".

Are the two colors shown correct? Is there a '72, '73, '74 year split for the two colors, or did they all get that treatment?

Great question never noticed. I had a 1972 340 'Cuda and the only picture of the front is unfortunately not very clear. I also would like to know!

1 Wild R/T

I know some were body color..

Burdar

Was the lower grill painted argent or was it just colored plastic?  If the lower grill was just natural colored plastic, that would explain a color difference between the two.

Cudajason

The lower grill in my 74 is not original but was purchased in 92 or 93, I am not sure if it was a factory piece or an early repop.

It is grey in color and not painted.

It is definitely not the same color as the grill.

It is currently out of the car and I can get you some pics if that helps.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

cataclysm80

I've also wondered why some cars received those red orange grill inserts, sometimes with matching hood scoop inserts.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cudajason on April 27, 2017, 07:40:12 AM
The lower grill in my 74 is not original but was purchased in 92 or 93, I am not sure if it was a factory piece or an early repop.

It is grey in color and not painted.

It is definitely not the same color as the grill.

It is currently out of the car and I can get you some pics if that helps.

Jason

That seems to ring a bell that the bottom part was just "natural grey" plastic color and the top part was Argent

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 27, 2017, 11:31:38 AM
I've also wondered why some cars received those red orange grill inserts, sometimes with matching hood scoop inserts.

Might be wrong but I believe the hood scoop inserts in red were done by individual owners to match the grill inserts. Something like painting the dual scoop trim black and not leaving it body color.

cataclysm80

Could be, I guess I have to flip through some factory literature.

I've sure seen a lot of them that way.

Cudajason

pretty sure that the orange grill inserts were factory. NO idea why.

The scoop inserts I believe were always black,
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Bullitt- on April 27, 2017, 06:05:42 PM
I remember there was a lot of NOS on the market a few years ago so I googled images
Seems they may have been light or dark grey

http://www.2040-parts.com/nos-mopar-1972-4-cuda-barracuda-lower-valance-panel-insert-correct-color-nib--i524735/

http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/nos-1972-1974-cuda-barracuda-lower-valance-grill-plastic.8613/

That's what I came across. The one on my car is light grey and I suspect it is original, as cracks have been repaired at least twice on it. I just bought an NOS one that is dark grey. We'll see how it looks, but I am curious on what is "correct" moving forward.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

larry4406

I have a '72 lower valence insert I bought new in 1986, still on my shelf. It is not painted, but just grey textured plastic.

I also have a '71 lower valence insert I bought new in 1985. No paint either, just gray plastic.

Both were purchased from the dealer with parts stickers still on them. One with my name on it!

anlauto

Quote from: Cudajason on April 27, 2017, 05:24:11 PM

pretty sure that the orange grill inserts were factory. NO idea why.

The scoop inserts I believe were always black,

:iagree: :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration