Main Menu

73 challenger grille

Started by fireguyfire, July 25, 2019, 08:36:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Just putting the finishing touches on restoring the tail panel of my 73 challenger back to factory spec; silver argent.
I personally have no problem with my car being what it is, a very highly optioned 73 rallye Challenger.
My next restoration project will be the front end which was blacked out as well.
Obviously the headlight panel and front of the fender and hood trim pieces need to go back to body colour, but I'm going to tackle my grille first.
My car is a factory rallye car so the grille should be black with silver (argent?) trim; because the front end was blacked out in 1980, the grille is argent. I haven't looked close enough to see if it's the original grille that they overpainted, or if they swapped it for a non rallye grille.
If it's been overpainted argent,would stripping it back to the original black plastic be the best bet?
If the grilleneeds to be painted,what black paint would you guys and gals recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimynick

I wouldn't try to strip it to where it looked good, it'd be a thankless task and you wouldn't be happy. Wash the grille with a Pre Kleano type wash and sand it with some 400, feather out any chips and repairs and paint it with a good quality single stage car paint. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Burdar

Original grill.  Molded in black plastic.  The lip is painted silver...not argent.(no texture)

The plastic was faded and dull looking.  I cleaned it multiple times and lightly scuffed it with with a scotchbrite pad.  Then I misted it will SEM Trim Black.  Finally, I masked off the lip and sprayed it with some Rallye wheel paint that I had.

The plastic piece that bolts to the front valance is the same way.  Black with a silver border.

fireguyfire

Wow; nice job!

fireguyfire

Hey Burdar; just to confirm, that wide grey piece across the front is the rubber bumper filler, correct not painted silver?

Burdar

Yes, that's the rubber bumper filler.  I lightly wet sanded it to clean it up.(no paint)

fireguyfire

Got my grille put back in rallye spec; looks great!
Can someone post up a pick of a rallye chin grille below the front bumper?
I'm curious which line is silver on it.

Burdar

I "think" the lower plastic piece is molded in gray plastic.  The top half is sprayed black with the front edge getting the silver accent.

fireguyfire

Perfect; thanks!

fireguyfire

One more question about the bottom grille; it is moulded in grey plastic.
The top is black, the front lip is silver; is the rest (underside) left cast grey?

Burdar

Yes, I believe so. You can kind of see the back corners in a couple of my pictures and they look gray.