Main Menu

73 challenger rallye fender scoops

Started by fireguyfire, September 29, 2019, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Pulled the fenders off of my 73 challenger to prep it for painting; the car had a bad respect in the 80's that I am reversing.
The fender "scoop" and black plastic piece underneath were painted over on the car.
I'm working on stripping the black plastic part of the scoop, and the mini scoops are obviously just black and fade into the decals; on the long arms that swoop back I found under the resorts what looks like factory paint.
Were these black plastic all black from the factory, or were the long "arms" painted body colour and the bays left black?

1 Wild R/T

bennydodge

I believe, from the factory, the insert is all black and the top cover is painted body color. My car has been repainted but it has the insert black with the top cover body color. Photos from back when these cars were new seem to confirm that.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

blown motor

The exception to that "might" be black cars with the red strobe stripe which I expect had a black outer and a red insert.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Burdar

The plastic insert was just black plastic.  It wasn't painted.  You can buy new inserts from Tony's Parts if yours aren't nice enough to use.  Hopefully your outer louvers have all of their attaching "pins" intact.  The going rate for a pair of mint originals is $100.  I had to buy a nice pair for my car.  The original louvers had a lot of missing "pins".

QuoteThe exception to that "might" be black cars with the red strobe stripe which I expect had a black outer and a red insert.

I'm pretty sure that the strobe stripes were only available from the factory in flat black.  No white or red stripes from the factory.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1973/73_Challenger0004.jpg

318Stroker

Quote from: Burdar on September 30, 2019, 06:21:36 AM
The plastic insert was just black plastic.  It wasn't painted.  You can buy new inserts from Tony's Parts if yours aren't nice enough to use.  Hopefully your outer louvers have all of their attaching "pins" intact.  The going rate for a pair of mint originals is $100.  I had to buy a nice pair for my car.  The original louvers had a lot of missing "pins".

QuoteThe exception to that "might" be black cars with the red strobe stripe which I expect had a black outer and a red insert.

I'm pretty sure that the strobe stripes were only available from the factory in flat black.  No white or red stripes from the factory.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1973/73_Challenger0004.jpg

:iagree: Strobes were black only, any colors you've seen were aftermarket.

YellowThumper

IIRC 1/8" wide stripes that with increasing spacing by 1/32" each. Something like 70 of them.
Way back when I wanted them to be painted on instead.
More useless info I keep up top.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.