Main Menu

70 tail panel ding question

Started by 7E-Bodies, September 29, 2019, 05:02:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Ok, reasonably experienced at body work, but this is in a tough spot. I'm prepped to use a dremmel cut off wheel to delicately remove a 3"x3" patch, tamp it flat, then stitch weld it back in and surgically grind/die grind until it's invisible. I'm fairly good at this. Too tough to get into to tamp it out. Had been hidden by bondo on the outside. The inside tipped me off. Thought I'd toss it out for review before I got cut-happy. This is the original panel on a rather original car, so the object is to repair nicely. Not interested in replacing panel as this one is rust free and a great fit. Any suggestions appreciated. @anlauto ? @Cuda Cody ? Anyone?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

I think you're on the right track...might be easier to replace the cut-out with new metal, but I supposed you could try and work the dent out... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

1 Wild R/T

The metal is severely stretched in a localized area.. cutting it out is certainly a viable option, another possibility since you seem to want to save the original metal is to just slice it through the worst of the damage, hammer and dolly it right in place, the cut will remove the stress & the metal will move.... As you work it you might find a need to slice it again to open the cut up before welding it back shut..

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  That's a lot of stretched metal.  Either cut it out or you'll need to shrink it.  Hammer and dolly with a shrinking disc works too, but that takes a bit of practice to get good at it.  The right decision is often based on the tools and skills a person has.  Several different ways to correctly repair that area.  :alan2cents:

kawahonda

You'll need a skim coat of filler either way.....
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

JS29

Quote from: kawahonda on September 29, 2019, 09:16:25 PM
You'll need a skim coat of filler either way.....
:iagree: Filler gets a bad wrap, if done properly it's there for good.  :alan2cents:

7E-Bodies

I agree. I like to keep it truly at a skim coat though.