Main Menu

74 Rallye Charger Vinyl Top Opinions Wanted

Started by 71vert340, May 25, 2021, 09:56:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I know it's not about my Challengers but I really respect the opinions expressed here pertaining to our cars. My 74 Rallye Charger 360 is B5 blue with a blue interior, black body side stripe ( not installed yet) and the tag calls for a white 3/4 canopy top. I'm to the point now where I need to make a decision on what color I should go with on the top. When I bought the car in 1987, it had a black vinyl top. This car will be driven and white tops can be hard to keep clean ( my 71 vert has taught me that). I painted the body this past summer and at the time , I painted the vinyl top area black with an orange peel finish for my grandson to see what a black top looks like. I've considered painting the canopy top are an orange peel white after the black stripe is installed to see what the car looks like in that color configuration. The canopy vinyl top is $330+ shipping. An expensive problem if I choose the wrong color top, so I only want to buy one top. The car is stock, numbers matching, etc. and I realize 74 Chargers are not a desirable car. What are the opinions and why on the vinyl top? There's a long wait on tops right now and white paint is cheap. I have a 6 month wait for my seat covers and I'm in month 4 now. I have another 74 Charger I plan on doing the way I want to. Thanks.
Terry

anlauto

Because of the black accents on the car, I think I would stick with black. :alan2cents: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Burdar

Tough call on this one IMO.  Usually, I don't like white vinyl tops when you have black interior and black stripes.  White looks so good on blue though and you have blue interior.  If it was mine, I'd roll it outside and take a couple really good pictures of it.  Then I'd play around with the "paint" program on the computer and add a black and white top to it so I could see what it would look like.

Is the dash, steering column and carpet blue on that car or are they black?

Are you going to run the wheels that are in your pictures?

71vert340

@Burdar. The steering column, dash etc. are blue. My grandson wants to run the Centerlines shown in the photos rather than the 14" wheels and hubcaps.

Skdmark

Tough call.
I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

If it had a black interior, I would say go with a black top.
With it having a blue interior, I would say go white and add some RWL tires to compliment the top a bit.  :alan2cents:

Ever consider doing a white stripe instead?  :Stirring:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Burdar

QuoteEver consider doing a white stripe instead? 
I had that thought too.

QuoteMy grandson wants to run the Centerlines shown in the photos rather than the 14" wheels and hubcaps.

Some 15" Magnum 500 style wheels would look perfect on there but if the grandson wants the Centerlines then...

RUNCHARGER

I don't like too many colours on the outside. You already have a hood blackout so I would go a black half top and black stripes to match the hood.
Sheldon

dhh

Not the same color or year as yours, but I think the white and blue looks nice.

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: You're right, that looks good. If you go white though, leave the side stripes off.
Sheldon

torredcuda

Tough call for me also, normally I would say go factory white for a stock, numbers matching resto and I like white accents but with the hood and stripes black I think would tie it together and look better.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I think white always looks good, but being the ONLY white on the car, I think it might look too odd and out of place... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

With the black accent on the hood I'd go black up top too.

:alan2cents:

70 Top Banana

Just like The Rolling Stones song- Paint it black

tparker

I would say Black because of the black on the hood and of course the tires. I thought white wouldn't really work for me. But the pic of the white top actually looks pretty cool. Might just be me. or the light, but the first photo with black top looks like a darker blue while the one with the white top seems to lighten the blue. Also, the white coordinates with the chrome trim.  I think white looks a little more classy. But I would probably still lean black.