Main Menu

AAR Front fender different from regular fender

Started by jlemler, May 24, 2017, 04:47:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

O.K. here goes the short story.  Back in the day before they were repoing 1970 Cuda fenders I made a choice.  At Carlisle many moons ago I purchase a very nice AAR front passenger fender.  I put the hole in it for the antenna a put it on my car.  It was expensive at the time but I had no choice and did what I did.  I have been driving around with the fender for many years.  Here is the question.  I want to put the wheel well trim on my car.  All the other openings are regular.  I believe the AAR front fender has a roll on it to accommodate bigger tires.  When I go to Carlisle I was thinking of getting the trim.  Will there be a problem putting the trim on the AAR front fender? 

Thanks,
Jeff

anlauto

AAR's never had "larger front tires" :alan2cents:

I doubt your fender is any different than any other fender.
I quick check of whether or not the lip is rolled will answer the question about mounting wheel lip moldings. Somebody could have rolled them back it the day.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

:iagree:

Even with the roll, I believe you can still install the trim.  :alan2cents:

61K T/A

Were there fender wheel openings made for 14 inch and 15 inch wheels?

jlemler

I believe the rolled fenders where defiantly standard on all Hemis.  I also thought somewhere along the line I remember it being standard on all TAs as well.  The point was to allow clearance for the front wheels when turning so they didn't rub.  Yes, it was to accommodate bigger tires.  I am however, far from an expert.  More like a little knowledge is a dangerous thing type of guy.

anlauto

Early production Hemicuda's were known to have rolled fenders, not "all" Hemicudas. Again.....The front tires on an AAR were not any bigger then any E Body ordered with 15" rims.

The Hemicuda hard larger F60X15 tires on the front.
AAR's and, every other 15" optioned E Body, came with E60X15's on the front.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

E 60-15   =   215/60-15
F 60-15   =   225/60-15

And yet the common tire of choice is a 235/60-15 without rolling the fender & often with the car sitting lower than stock...

Lots of guys run a 245/60-15 & a few squeeze in a 255/60-15.....

6bblgt

E 60-15   =   225/60-15
F 60-15   =   235/60-15
G 60-15  =   245/60-15
H 60-15  =   255/60-15
J 60-15  =   265/60-15
L 60-15  =   275/60-15

I'd bump that size up one for E60 VS. F60, but every manufacturer measures their tire differently & I'm sure there were bigger variables "back in the day" - an OE Goodyear 7.75-15 tire for a '67 Corvette was a different sized tire than a Goodyear 7.75-15 tire for a Chevy passenger car  :looney:

6bblgt

IIRC 1970 SSCA (Trans Am racing's sanctioning body) required the use of unmodified factory fenders on race cars - Boss 302s have factory radiused/rolled fenders to clear their 15x7.0 wheels and F60-15 tires. (the ONLY 1969-'70 Mustangs w/15" wheels are Boss 302/Boss 429 & SHELBY "fiberglass")

the AAR & T/A cars were at one point intended to have H60-15 tires & 15x8.0" wheels on all four corners

this would've required a "TRANS AM" flared/radiused fender without wheel lip mouldings - IMO it is the reason for the additional "TRANS AM" fender tag & persistent rumors of "special" fenders

IIRC original paint AARs and T/As have been found with & without  HEMI fenders on them, but they are NOT required to clear the STANDARD front 15x7.0" wheels and E60-15 tires. (the actual lip isn't any bigger - wheel lip mouldings fit the shape/contour - it's the screw attaching area that is "rolled")

6bblgt

1970 HEMI e-bodies started the model year with the same STANDARD front fenders as all other Barracudas & Challengers - Wheel lip mouldings were STANDARD on both the 'cuda & Challenger R/T.

at some point early in production as cars were getting used/driven/tested :thinking: under heavy braking with the wheel turned - wheel to fender "RUB" was happening & rolling the wheel lip (& moulding) was the answer to the clearance issue

early model year HEMI e-bodies were shipped (as complete cars) to Creative Industries to have the front fenders hand rolled for clearance
survival of wheel lip mouldings varied

by spring of '70 the factory 15" "HEMI FENDER" (& fender tag)  was being installed at the assembly plant - usually without wheel lip mouldings

71GranCoupe

Help me out Dan. Is the picture you posted above an actual "hemi fender"? The reason why, the guy I bought my car from years ago, said it had hemi fenders. To this day, I don't know if they are or are not. I will definitely have to take a second look at the car when I get back. thanks    :handshake:

1 Wild R/T

Cuda Cody

This might help everyone seethe Hemi Rolled Fender  :takealook:

MoparCarGuy

Another picture of a factory rolled fender.

Fastmark

I have two AARs. I bought both in 76 and 79. One SPD of 3/31. Both fenders are rolled. The left one is original and never been off. It has the rolled edge. You can tell by the undercoating on the unside of the wheel well. The right one was replaced early in life with a rolled fender. You can still see the part stencil no under the fender. They are both rolled a long way. Putting a molding on it would not leave much support, IMO. My other AAR has original paint and all original panels. It does not have rolled fenders on either side. It's a 4/08 SPD.