Main Menu

Adding 71-72 Bumper Guards to 1973 'Cuda

Started by 72and86, October 22, 2017, 07:33:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

Yep that is what I did on my 73. . . Love it!  Although most think it is a 72 when they see it . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

nsmall

There's one problem....the rear bumper has to be a 70-72 to fit on on 70-72 bracket. A 73 rear bumper will Not fit a 70-72 rear bumper bracket 

@Burdar is the man on 72-74's, but he's been quiet lately.  Darren, you copy?

nsmall

@72and86 you have a 73 bumper and bumper brackets.  Do the 70-72 swap.  It's the best mod on a 73 IMO.

72and86

Quote from: nsmall on October 24, 2017, 06:17:00 PM
There's one problem....the rear bumper has to be a 70-72 to fit on on 70-72 bracket. A 73 rear bumper will Not fit a 70-72 rear bumper bracket 

@Burdar is the man on 72-74's, but he's been quiet lately.  Darren, you copy?

Do I remove those bumper "strips"? If so, how do they come off?

Chryco Psycho

you mean the fillers pieces between the bumper & body , once the bumper is removed there are screws holding them in place

nsmall

:iagree:

I have found it easiest to remove the rear Valance then remove the bumper and then remove the rubber filler.  Obviously you will not need the filler piece once the bumper conversion is complete.

72and86

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 24, 2017, 10:59:18 PM
you mean the fillers pieces between the bumper & body , once the bumper is removed there are screws holding them in place

Thanks.
(this is becoming more of a chore than I thought. Oh well I have the two bumper guards off, so I guess Im committed.)

72and86

Quote from: nsmall on October 24, 2017, 11:52:37 PM
:iagree:

I have found it easiest to remove the rear Valance then remove the bumper and then remove the rubber filler.  Obviously you will not need the filler piece once the bumper conversion is complete.

Thanks!  :cheers:

Spikedog08

Once you collect all the needed parts, it really is an easy process.  Like indicated, remove the valance first . . . here is my 73 once completed! 

72and86

Spikedog08

Cragers 15 inch

nsmall

@Spikedog08

How about your tire sizes?  Did you lower the rear or front as I love the stance of your car?

@72and86   it's really not that hard to do the bumper conversion it's just unfortunately expensive like almost everything on an e body.   Just my :alan2cents:

Not sure if you priced out Parts but I ended up spending triple what I had planned but I'm extremely happy with what I have going on right now.  Good luck

392 Cuda

Did you need to replace the bumper with a 70-72 bumper?

I have guards for my 74, but the previous owner cut off the brackets. I'm tempted to just do the swap (will eventually anyway), but if I need another bumper, I may continue looking for 73-74 bumper guard brackets until I'm ready for paint.

nsmall

1) @compugod I can help you, are you referring to the front or rear bumpers?  I can assist you once you post what year of bumper you have and what year of brackets you have.

2)  Do you want to go with no bumper guards? 

3) Are you just trying to tuck in your stock 74 bumpers?

392 Cuda

That was fast! Thank you @nsmall !

I have a 74 Cuda, 74 bumper guards, and 70-72 bumper guard brackets.

I would like to get the 74 guards on there temporarily, and eventually buy 70-72 guards when I replace the rear valence.

I appreciate any help you can provide.