Main Menu

All metal

Started by truckinman466, October 01, 2018, 06:28:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

Has anyone used All Metal filler from Eastwood? Was thinking about using it to fill the seams between the roof skin and quarter panel. And between quarter panel and rocker panel.

Topcat

Yes I tried it many years ago.

Still created the band aid effect in the hot sun.

Less filler is needed in that area. A nickel thickness if possible.

Rich G.

I've always use the body filler with the fiberglass strands in it on that and the roof seams. Never had a problem.

Cuda Cody

If not using lead, than Fiberglas will work better than Allmetal.  All metal is just small aluminum shavings in filler, the fiberglass has longer strands and will hold up better in that seam.  Lead is still my first choice for that location.

RUNCHARGER

I find All metal isn't that great to work either.
Sheldon

truckinman466

I've never tried lead. I'm not sure I have the skills to do it. (I know, if you're scared say you're scared)

1 Wild R/T

I think every person who restores cars has tried so form of All-Metal type filler.... And I've never heard of anyone trying it a second time.... Kitty Hair (Glass Fiber reinforced filler) is definitely a better product but as others have stated the best solution is lead & honestly lead isn't that tough..... I suggest watching a few video's including local legend Gene Winfield's video he made for Eastwood....

Topcat

Lead isn't as hard to do as you think.

Watching it change color to a dull color is when it's ready to add & adhere.

In a nutshell...

Its:

Prep
Cleanliness
melting point
Smearing
grating/filing
Roloc smoothing
Primer over
Body filler
Contour

jimynick

Technically, it's not just lead, it's solder and the 60/40 ratio is a good place to start as the 70/30 stuff is brittle in the stick and a PITA to get on the car. As mentioned, watch some videos and buy the paddles and bees wax. Have a fan or mask on when heating solder or when sanding it as the airborne smoke and particles are to be avoided and wash your hands after working with it as well and you should be fine. A vixen file is a good way to cut it down and level it. The thickness doesn't make any difference in how it reflects either. Good luck. :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

rhamson

The key to leading is the tinning preparation of the metal to accept the lead. Once it turns a shiny silver color it will accept the lead. Another key is once you get the lead flowing fan the heat back and forth while you press it into place with the paddle.

shawge

Harder to sand/shape All Metal compared to Rage Extreme.  I also wondered if the Aluminum in the All Metal would cause galvanic corrosion if put against bare metal  :thinking: 
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

JS29

You DO NOT want to breath that stuff!!!!  I have used it before, don't see it worth the price to use it.  :alan2cents: