Main Menu

Anyone "ceramic coat" their paint?

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, November 11, 2018, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I've got a few swirls on the 'Cuda after about 5,000 miles. Unfortunately with how often it gets on the road, it also gets pretty dirty, forcing me to wash fairly frequently.

I've seen videos online of "ceramic coated" paint, the application looks easy, but it also looks semi-permanent [3+ years]. I feel like if I did this, dirt/debris would be less likely to stick, causing less frequent washes and washing it would wear the coating, not the clear coat, if anything.

Any product recommendations? The internet is littered with options, I'm sure some are junk and only a couple are worth using. I would be looking to DIY the coating.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Rdchallenger

Go with Chemical Guys products. They're a little pricey but are one of the best in car care. Ceramic coating is definitely the future and it puts a fantastic gloss on your car too. Always looks freshly waxed.

Cudakiller70

:popcorn: We have a black car and looking at this stuff also, my brother in law uses F11 (I think similar though not ceramic) on his black Harley and it seems alright.
Also just got a Toyota Highlander it's a dark blue needs it's first wash and something like this seems like a good idea.

Rdchallenger

It is, but even with it being new you're going to want to use strip wash on it (which removes all wax) and gives you a fresh template as well as clay bar it to remove paint contaminates imbedded in the clear that you wouldn't imagine a fresh car would have.

ToxicWolf

I use F11 too.  Very happy with it.  It's not ceramic but it works well on everything ... Paint, glass, vinyl ...

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: ToxicWolf on November 11, 2018, 03:54:47 PM
I use F11 too.  Very happy with it.  It's not ceramic but it works well on everything ... Paint, glass, vinyl ...

link?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

bpsmopar

I used the CQUK pictured. Prep is the important part. Remove waxes, comtaminence, a good cut, then polish beforehand. Apply the coating in small areas doing a crosshatch. Wipe off the excess with a quality clean cloth after it flashes. The video is good to follow.
Great result when done patiently. Repels dust, water flows off it. Will last a long time.👍