Main Menu

B7 blue 440 six pack cuda , help with the color

Started by Lloyd Lind, February 07, 2018, 06:08:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Lloyd Lind

So I usually mix my own color off my mixing system but it seems that I don't have a formula for B7 blue. I like the idea of modernizing the color a little bit not changing the basic color but I'm starting from scratch this time since I have no formula to start off with. The car is missing it's drive train so it's never going to be high dollar car but I love the b5 interior against the dark blue and I want to keep the color close so it looks correct but better. Anyone done this to their car and if so what did you find that looked right, I used a hyundi color once for a gold color cuda gY9 and it rocked, the color looked right but better. I'm looking for the same color blue with either a better metallic or a metallic and pearl mix that makes the color pop a little better. Any ideas?

anlauto

Does this help...I just had a B7 car painted last month...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

PatO

I started out with a test spray out of B7 on my '72 since that is what I had in the day. I too wanted something a bit more contemporary so we came up with a few more colors. Appears more blue with just a touch of pearl and a slight metallic.  See the pictures attached.  I might still have the mix in my file.

6bblgt

can't help with a mix or recommended brand, but
IMO 1970 "EB7" wasn't as dark as the 2 Challengers above appear to be, it wasn't much darker than "EB5"

here's a '70 Fury in "EB7"

Jim AAR

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 07, 2018, 07:48:26 PM
can't help with a mix or recommended brand, but
IMO 1970 "EB7" wasn't as dark as the 2 Challengers above appear to be, it wasn't much darker than "EB5"

here's a '70 Fury in "EB7"

:iagree: My AAR is EB7 and it's not as dark as them either. It may just be the lighting though, Blue seems to show much more differently than other colors dependent on the lighting.

The 1st pic is my AAR in EB7 on a cloudy day later in the evening, the 2nd is mine on a sunny day in the afternoon, the 3rd pic is not mine but was taken under interior lighting, the 4th pic is the same car taken outside on a sunny day.

They all look to have different shades.  :rubeyes: :notsure: :dunno:

anlauto

Dan, is the Fury original paint ?
I agree with Jim....the colour will look different in all types of lighting, I haven't even seen mine outside in the sun yet.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

no the Fury wasn't original paint at that point - the jambs were original & exterior in primer when I got it late-'80s - color matched the bottom of decklid but I don't recall the paint brand/system used - and YES lighting causes the color to vary

here's a B7 '69 GTX - more appropriate "EB7" IMO

I need to find & scan an old school pic of a couple friends '70 440 4bbl Challenger R/T's in a Sunoco gas station (one EB5/black & the other EB7/white) they are not that far off

Lloyd Lind

your last picture matches the package tray in my car, the only place with original paint still like new. Your car has the right amount of green in the color, the others posted  look more towards red to me than the original color. The search continues.... Thanks

Convertcuda

Here's my B7 blue 6 pack rag in single stage. The color does change depending what sunlight and shade you are in.

Ken

RUNCHARGER

It really brightens up in the sun and goes pretty dark on cloudy days. This is my B7 Hemi GTX. I shot it in Centari single stage and it was a dead on match to the original paint I found in the car.
Sheldon

Jim AAR

The lighting definitely changes the shade quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the color of the Final Primer coat also affects the shade.

6bblgt

here's a scanned sample out of the '70 Chrysler paint & trim book

HEMICUDA

No question it's to dark, that's one of the biggest reasons we tint our own paint.

anlauto

The original poster is looking for a new paint colour that is close so he can custom mix a more modern version  of the colour with nicer metallic or pearl, maybe a Toyota or Nissan colour .....so debating what's right or what's wrong with a picture of five different cars really won't make a difference.

Does anybody know of a modern colour that is close?

Lloyd Lind

Yes, its funny how this turned in to a light issue with the original paint. I believe it is the secondary color that affects what you see in the differing light. I once bought an electron microscope in Sams club that was for kids to hook up to there computer to look at bugs and other small stuff. I used it for myself to look at paint to match colors, in fact, I was able to come up with a way to match colors from what I learned and my franchise patented the idea/ process. It had to do with the fact that colors don't really mix together, under amplification they look like a bunch of different color jelly beans all mixed together. Different light makes different parts of a color show more, in darker conditions the dominate color takes over, blue in this case, more light the yellow in it shows a little more. I love matching colors for this reason. Seriously.