Main Menu

Black Oxide Coatings

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 03, 2019, 12:14:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I just ordered a kit from Caswell so I can plate a few things including hood latch hardware.

What other areas on our E bodies get the Black Oxide treatment? I'm thinking the trunk latch?

anlauto

Not the trunk latch, that should be a silver cad
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@Cuda Cody has a good instructional video here that demonstrates the black oxide process quite well
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

pink aar

Are you trying to do a OEM restoration? A lot of the bolts and nut were Phosphate, not all black oxide. Now the black oxide will last longer than phosphate but not correct.  I did a lot of my original nut and bolts phosphate with ECS wax coating.

70 Challenger Lover

Partly, I want to get the correct OEM look on my cars as they go back together. Some of the coatings can get pricey so I typically paint. It looks okay but I want to take things to that next level. One of my cars is nicely restored by a previous owner but under the hood, there are a few obvious mistakes so I figured over time I can fix this and that while I'm still enjoying the car.

There are a ton of little things all over our cars and it seems like they all have a different type of coating. I just figured if I'm spending $100 for a black oxide kit, might as well get my money's worth and go over all the cars making each more correct where I can.

With that in mind, on a 70 Challenger or 71 Barracuda, are there other things that technically should have black oxide?

The kit I bought is pretty comprehensive and it comes with a sealer as well which hopefully will make the coating hold up for years.