Main Menu

Car Cover Recommendations

Started by tparker, September 10, 2020, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Hi All,
I painted my `70 challenger last year and now I am fighting with regular dust, tree leaves, birds and now acidic Ash from the California fires from all directions. I'm in the middle of several fires and have been getting significant ash from at least two different fires. I keep the car out most of the year as I work on it and only use the garage when the rain starts.

Any one has any car cover recommendations? Years ago I bought one but it was real cheap. It served it's purpose but looking for something better. I looked a couple for Challengers, but they were way too expensive, in my opinion. I could by a air cleaner with that money!!! :D I'm looking for one that can handle mild rain since we get an occasional popup shower, but the car will be put away for major storms.

Tom

Scooter

I've yet to find one that I'm happy with. Last cloth one I had for my Fairlane actually trapped the dirt.. then when it got wet it redeposited the crud into my vinyl roof. I'll add that most don't fit well. They will claim made just for your vehicle... I'm convinced that just means large, medium or small. And none of these "custom" covers seem to have accommodation for the antenna mast. Eventually they all seem to end up flopping around in the wind. Sorry to sound like a wet blanket... but that's been my experience.

They do sell the disposable plastic one size fits all which will likely get you over our current "ash snow" situation if you are concerned for your new paint.

GL with your search! I'm just going to wash the driveway beast a lil more often. 

7212Mopar

Custom outdoor car covers runs in several hundred dollars and none are perfect. It needs to be breathable, resist sunlight especially UV rays, heat, rain and wind gust. No car covers can replace a garage parking spot. Indoor car covers are relatively inexpensive and light to keep dust off the car.

My 2012 SRT has been parked on the driveway since new under custom car covers. So far I am on the fifth cover.

First cover came with the car from Mopar. It was some type of fleece type fabric. It really was not meant for outdoor even they claim it is. It absorb water and degrade under the summer heat. Tossed in the garbage can after a few months.

Second cover is Covercraft Weathershield HP. It is light weight and works well. Due to light weight, it ballooned under wind load even with covers tied down to the car. Fabric eventually aged and torn under wind. It lasted under two years.

Third and fourth covers is Covercraft Weathershield HD. It is a multi-layers fabric design and best performance against the sun, heavier weight than HP. Works well but face the same problem as the first cover and eventually fails at the seams. Each lasted a little under 3 years.

Current cover on the car is Coverking Autobody Armor. This is a multi-layers heavy and bulky car cover, well design and stay on the car under wind load without tie down. Protect the car well under all weather. I like it very much until after about two years of use. The top fabric surface begins to deteriorate and generates some fine powder substances that trickle down to other layers and then deposit on the car. So every time I lift the cover, it takes me 15 minutes to wipe down the powder on the whole car. Other than that, the cover is still working shedding water (not as good as when new) and seams are still fine. I think this cover is on the third year now.

So all of these custom car covers got problems. If you only need the cover the car for a few months in a year and don't have high wind, I think the Weathershield  HD would be a good choice and it is comparatively less expensive.

Ash is acidic when wet so get it off quick. I just hose down my daily driver this morning. Not all the ash deposit cab be hosed off as it leaves behind a coat on the paint. It will need a wash this weekend.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

tparker

Thanks. This is the same experience I had, just not with expensive covers. The last one I had was very light and didn't hold up well. But if the expensive ones aren't any better, maybe I'll do that and just not have too much expectations. I'll have the motor in soon so it will be easier to get in and out of the garage anyways I guess.

Yeah the ash issue sucks. I JUST washed my car and got the ash from a couple weeks ago off and now there is more. I guess I should be counting my blessing since this is all I have to deal with. I'll wash mine this weekend again too.

Racer57

Poolshark314

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/superweave-premium-outdoor-car-cover/555

I have the SuperWeave Premium on an old Mercedes and it has held up well for 2 years outside. It is very light, and very waterproof. It's very slick to move over the paint surface. Only thing I am not crazy about is the fit, but it is an oddly shaped vehicle so I gather the car covers fit better than the SUV ones. They also claim to be machine washable but I have never tried
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

YellowThumper

Knowing it is a California car changes many requirements. IE minimal rain dampness.
I have an outside project as well.
Purchase a decent all weather type. I believe mine is a California car cover. Not the top of line but inside has great soft layer. I then purchased another cheap all weather one (Summit brand) this goes over the other one. These become the sacrificial covers. Have gone thru 2 of these so far and inner one remains in good shape. Neighbor has a massive pine tree...
Have had zero issues with moisture problems.
I believe having the 2 layers help the inner one move less against the paint as well.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

tparker

Thanks all. Great tips. The California Cover seems to be a go to product. Way more than I was hoping to pay, but a lot less than a paint job. LOL. I will probably opt for a cheap one to get me through this fire mess and then get one of these year.

I also like the idea of having two. 

Thanks for the tips

YellowThumper

Not an E. But it has corners prone to rubbing. Couple years in and no evidence of anything yet.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.