Main Menu

1971 Challenger Hood Lip Molding

Started by Daveh, August 13, 2018, 01:40:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I think I purchased the wrong hood lip molding for my 71 Challenger.  It's a steel hood.  Can someone tell me the difference between the two?  I think I know but all of the pictures aren't very clear.  Thanks

Dave

RUNCHARGER

Ack: I sold my 71 about 35 years ago. As I recall though, the 71 molding screws on with sheetmetal screws to the bottom edge of the hood. The 70 style has sliding mounts/studs that go through the front edge and are retained by speed nuts.
Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

I think Runcharger is correct but it might be another early build 1971 vs. later build.

I just had the molding off my wife's 71 R/T last week, it is a Jan SPD build, the hood and molding setup appear to be the described 1970 type.
The molding has a type of foam in the center with mounting studs(capable of sliding side to side in the molding) inserted in the foam that go into the front edge of the hood with speed nuts on the back.
The shape of the molding seems to match the 1971 headlight bucket trim.
I have no idea if the hood is original to the car but it has been on it for at least 30 years.
The hood has crumple zones.

If you search for challenger hood moldings, some vendors sell trim for 1970-71 and some sell only for 1971 and some exclude 1971 R/T Challengers. :huh:

I'm going to have to check the hood molding on the other June SPD 71 R/T Challenger, the hood is buried in the storage garage. I seem to remember it was mounted with screws from the bottom.

Daveh

Mine is a shaker hood with the holes in the front edge.  So what molding piece to I buy?  Thanks

GrandpaKevin

RUNCHARGER

On a 71 R/T the molding has the bottom half blacked out to match the headlight bezels.
Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

Yes, same as the rear quarter panel and trunk lid trim.

You would have to add that on yourself.

340challconvert

Runcharger's comments are correct. I owned two different 71 Challengers years back.
The RT had an L shaped front molding that attached from underneath to a lip in the front, bottom of the hood with the bottom blacked out to match the grill. My recollection was; I think it was a black vinyl tape?
70 Challengers had the slight "V" shaped molding that attached through holes in the front. 
To confuse the issue further, 71 Challengers had an L shaped wide hood lip moldings that went on the hood and fenders (optional M28) as an option.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Daveh

Thanks guys I already have one on the way from Dave.  That guy never disappoints.   :ohyeah:

superdave

:veryexcited: I learned some things there, thanks. And I love the m28 option. :yes: