Main Menu

Challenger Trunk trim 70 vs 71+ (differences)

Started by Cuda Cody, April 15, 2017, 07:50:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Someone on the Facebook group asked about Challenger tail trim so I took this photo.  Thought I would share in case anyone else had the same question in the future (since this forum is easier to search).

1971 and up on the left   -   vs   -   1970 on the right.

Click photo to enlarge

303 Mopar

Its amazing how you would never realize the big differences until they are side-by-side.  And why Mopar would make these subtle little differences.

Brads70

and on the 71RT the lower part was painted flat black.

Cuda Cody

Are you talking about the tail panel above the taillights?   :huh:  T/A's were black, right?  Were RT's?

Quote from: Brads70 on April 16, 2017, 06:37:10 AM
and on the 71RT the lower part was painted flat black.

anlauto

In 1971 the R/T's tail panel trim that you're holding in your hand was half (painted) black to match the tail panel in 1971. I believe it was a vinyl sticker not paint, but I've seen them both ways.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

1971 Challenger R/Ts had black grills & black taillight panels - the mouldings were black up to the accent line

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on April 16, 2017, 07:34:08 AM
In 1971 the R/T's tail panel trim that you're holding in your hand was half (painted) black to match the tail panel in 1971. I believe it was a vinyl sticker not paint, but I've seen them both ways.

That's what I meant. I helped my buddy assemble his 71 R/T and we used NOS, took them right out of the original wrappers. They were painted flat black.

schlett7nu1

Late to this topic.  I was interested in what was the factory original clip design used to attached the trim to the trunk?  Do the clips have studs with Pal type nuts on the backside at all hole locations?  I've seen a clip with a spring that goes through the hole and applies pressure to hold the trim in place with the two end pieces only having studs with nuts.  Not sure if that was an aftermarket design.
thanks