Main Menu

Chrome mirrors

Started by 61K T/A, April 25, 2017, 05:01:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

61K T/A

I want to replace my mirrors with chrome ralley mirrors on my 70. Did Chrysler ever offer a fixed one instead of the remote style for the drivers?

anlauto

No, but you could just cut the cables off :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

61K T/A

I thought about cutting off the cable. Looks like thats what I'll be doing. Are there any issues with the reproduction (sellers) mirrors I should stay away from? I hope not to deal with China

anlauto

Pretty sure they're all made in China :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

61K T/A

RUNCHARGER

You wouldn't have to cut the cable, just loop the cable inside the door along the bottom (well other than the hole needed on the top of the door for the cables). The repro look nice however the glass on my right side just fell to the ground one day, I can't even see evidence of any bonding agent. I sound like a broken record when I rip on repro parts but most of the chinese stuff is crap.
Sheldon

cataclysm80

I think the reproduction mirrors are all made by the same place, regardless of who is selling them, so just shop around for a good price.

On the reproduction mirrors, the best castings are selected for chroming, and the rest get primer because painted mirrors can by bodyworked if needed.

China is perfectly capable of making high quality stuff.
The real issue is that many North American companies aren't trying to provide high quality stuff.  Those companies purchase the cheapest items they can find, and try to sell them.  They do this because they can make more money by buying cheaper.
They get what they pay for (cheap parts), and pass it on to us.

The problem isn't the quality of Chinese manufacturing.
The problem is companies demanding the lowest possible cost, which results in cutting corners and lesser quality.

If another company started making a lower cost Mopar mirror, many parts distributors would switch and only carry the cheap one, even if it was less accurate and had problems.
The nicer part would become hard to find.
People will buy whatever is available, because it's better than going without.
It's a race to the bottom, figuring out what is the cheapest quality people are willing to purchase without hurting sales volume.  It's all about making money, not about creating the best parts.

blown motor

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 25, 2017, 12:36:51 PM
I think the reproduction mirrors are all made by the same place, regardless of who is selling them, so just shop around for a good price.

On the reproduction mirrors, the best castings are selected for chroming, and the rest get primer because painted mirrors can by bodyworked if needed.

China is perfectly capable of making high quality stuff.
The real issue is that many North American companies aren't trying to provide high quality stuff.  Those companies purchase the cheapest items they can find, and try to sell them.  They do this because they can make more money by buying cheaper.
They get what they pay for (cheap parts), and pass it on to us.

The problem isn't the quality of Chinese manufacturing.
The problem is companies demanding the lowest possible cost, which results in cutting corners and lesser quality.

If another company started making a lower cost Mopar mirror, many parts distributors would switch and only carry the cheap one, even if it was less accurate and had problems.
The nicer part would become hard to find.
People will buy whatever is available, because it's better than going without.
It's a race to the bottom, figuring out what is the cheapest quality people are willing to purchase without hurting sales volume.  It's all about making money, not about creating the best parts.

An interesting perspective and I'm having a hard time finding an arguement with any of it.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

cataclysm80

I'm a manufacturer. (not of car parts)
Our product is higher quality than most of our competitors, and I regularly see stores who will turn down a higher quality product and Instead carry a lower cost product.
Since the item isn't for their own personal use, they aren't concerned about the quality.  Instead, they're totally focused on buying at the lowest possible price so that they can make more money.
I have to show that a higher quality product increases sales volume, or they're not interested.

Additionally, I've had family that moved to China for teaching positions.  They say that the quality of typical merchandise over there is just fine.  The cheap junk is specifically manufactured for export because that's what companies want to buy.  Every business needs to supply what their customers want, and in this case, their customers want the lowest price possible.

61K T/A

I like that "race to the bottom". What a shame its about the dollar and not the quality. Especially in this market. I wouldn't think twice about  paying  more for a better (best) part, but that's just me. Quality in quality out. I know this goes far beyond what the manufactures call for. It's more about our economy and how much expendable cash we have to spend.

Brads70

I bought chrome mirrors while at Carlisle one year, the drivers side is great, the passenger side the mirror glass is distorted when you look in it.  :pullinghair:  I might replace it at some point but it's fine for now. Like as was mentioned, it's better than nothing.

61K T/A

This what I want to avoid. Doing some thing twice. The need to fix a new mirror.

cataclysm80

I have a pair of original 1970 chrome mirrors (typical wear, not perfect), and a pair of reproduction 1970 mirrors in primer.

My finished project requires a pair of painted 1970 mirrors.

The body line on the reproduction mirrors has a slight wave to it.  It can be fixed with minimal body work, probably some high build primer, masking tape, and proper sanding, but that takes some effort to do. 
Now that I know it's there, I can pick out reproduction mirrors at car shows, so I definitely want to fix it, or it would bother me.
I'll have to take another look at my mirror glass to see if the glass is distorted.  I don't recall any issues with that, but I haven't spent much time looking at it, since it isn't installed on the car.

The original mirrors would probably need a lot more work.  Strip the chrome to prevent paint adhesion issues, make sure the pivot ball is nice and tight so that the mirror holds position, replace the glass, and fiddle with the remote control cable to make sure it's working properly.  Maybe replate the control knob that goes on the door panel if needed.

I also don't want to do anything twice.  At the moment, fixing the reproduction mirrors is probably the easiest way to get to where I want to be.  I wonder what the long term life span is for the pivot ball on the reproduction mirrors, and whether it uses rivets or screws.
If I recall correctly, you have to drill out some rivets and install some screws to fix worn out originals.

Burdar

You can always buy some original chrome mirrors and have them re-chromed.  I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost you around $400 per mirror to have them re-chromed.  Then you'd probably have to replace the glass anyway. 

1 Wild R/T

Anyone got a how to on replacing the cables?