Main Menu

What defines a rebody ??

Started by screamindriver, January 11, 2020, 07:13:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: lahatte on October 15, 2022, 05:22:39 PM
Quote from: MoparCarGuy on October 15, 2022, 08:23:16 AM
I think the point of body VINs is kind of moot on this specific 383 car. With no dash VIN and no original fender tag, most potential buyers will not be interested.

It seems you missed the part of the discussion where I mention that the salvage yard body would be a donor body for a rebody of a different car's build, from the VIN and tags of a different 383 cuda.

No, I got that part. The value of a 383 Cuda tagged rebody won't be much different than a real 383 Cuda body without the original Dash VIN tag. The Dash VIN tag is the one that all 50 states consider as the VIN tag for title purposes.

Most Mopar buyers want to see as many of these items as possible...

• Dash VIN tag matching the cowl and radiator support VIN stampings and an original fender tag
  • Matching engine and transmission VIN stampings
  • Original Broadcast Sheet(s), Window Sticker, and Dealer Sales Invoice
  • Owner's Manual with Warranty Card and Consumer Information Card

anlauto

No, I think now that he's saying he has all the tags from a rusted car that he wants to replace the shell with a junkyard car....meaning no reproduction tags :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I will not buy a car if the title doesn't match the VIN tag and body stamped Vin #'s. If it has a data tag, Buildsheet and #'s match trans and engine that's bonus and adds to the value. I don't assume those body #'s have been there from new either, I look them over pretty intensely.
Sheldon

MoparCarGuy

This discussion is basically a "Ship of Theseus" debate except one of the two ships (cars) has matching dash/cowl/radiator/engine/trans VINs. The one with those items for all intents and purposes is the real ship (car).

lahatte

Isn't one of the convertible hemi cuda's a rebody?

lahatte

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on October 15, 2022, 08:30:34 PM
The value of a 383 Cuda tagged rebody won't be much different than a real 383 Cuda body without the original Dash VIN tag. The Dash VIN tag is the one that all 50 states consider as the VIN tag for title purposes.

I'm not really concerned with value, only with rebuilding the car as Chrysler made it, but using a different body.

What I have from the original car of interest is the dash VIN, fender tags, build sheet, and the hood, doors, fenders, grill, etc.

torredcuda

Quote from: lahatte on October 15, 2022, 10:23:23 PM
The value of a 383 Cuda tagged rebody won't be much different than a real 383 Cuda body without the original Dash VIN tag. The Dash VIN tag is the one that all 50 states consider as the VIN tag for title purposes.

I'm not really concerned with value, only with rebuilding the car as Chrysler made it, but using a different body.

What I have from the original car of interest is the dash VIN, fender tags, build sheet, and the hood, doors, fenders, grill, etc.

The only thing is you don`t have the cowl and radiator support with the partial vin stampings so either the ones on the donor body would not match or you could just cut them out and have none. The issue would be if your DMV or other LEO were to check the car over for some reason or if you or your hiers tried to sell it the legality might come into question.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I would just grind the cowl/rad support numbers off and leave it blank. :alan2cents:

YES one of the existing 1971 Hemicuda convertibles is thought to be a rebody because pre-restoration photos of it show basically only the front clip surviving  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

lahatte

Quote from: torredcuda on October 16, 2022, 04:36:38 AM
The only thing is you don`t have the cowl and radiator support with the partial vin stampings so either the ones on the donor body would not match or you could just cut them out and have none. The issue would be if your DMV or other LEO were to check the car over for some reason or if you or your hiers tried to sell it the legality might come into question.

Doh! I forgot to mention that I DO have those pieces.

lahatte

Quote from: anlauto on October 16, 2022, 05:53:51 AM
I would just grind the cowl/rad support numbers off and leave it blank. :alan2cents:

That's what I have been considering might be the best option if this ever gets built.

larry4406

Quote from: lahatte on October 16, 2022, 08:09:36 PM
Quote from: torredcuda on October 16, 2022, 04:36:38 AM

Doh! I forgot to mention that I DO have those pieces.

Sounds like you have all you need.

HP2

Quote from: lahatte on October 15, 2022, 05:22:39 PM
Quote from: MoparCarGuy on October 15, 2022, 08:23:16 AM
I think the point of body VINs is kind of moot on this specific 383 car. With no dash VIN and no original fender tag, most potential buyers will not be interested.

It seems you missed the part of the discussion where I mention that the salvage yard body would be a donor body for a rebody of a different car's build, from the VIN and tags of a different 383 cuda.

No, I got that part. The value of a 383 Cuda tagged rebody won't be much different than a real 383 Cuda body without the original Dash VIN tag. The Dash VIN tag is the one that all 50 states consider as the VIN tag for title purposes.

Most Mopar buyers want to see as many of these items as possible...

• Dash VIN tag matching the cowl and radiator support VIN stampings and an original fender tag
  • Matching engine and transmission VIN stampings
  • Original Broadcast Sheet(s), Window Sticker, and Dealer Sales Invoice
  • Owner's Manual with Warranty Card and Consumer Information Card

This is spot on.

I've had to get lost titles replaced and had vin inspections done on several cars over the years. Local law enforcement where I am at are only concerned that the vin tag on the dash/door matches any paperwork provided. I have NEVER had any LEO ever check body stampings much less engine or trans numbers. These latter issues are pretty much limited to the enthusiasts world  unless you end up in a legal quagmire.

Buyers, on the other hand, can be very picky and I've occasionally had buyers check for these stampings. However, I've never dealt in cars so valuable that the presence of these impacted my ability to sell it.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: HP2 on October 17, 2022, 06:14:03 AM

I have NEVER had any LEO ever check body stampings much less engine or trans numbers. These latter issues are pretty much limited to the enthusiasts world  unless you end up in a legal quagmire.

The idea that police would even know what to look for is silly.  Every manufacturer did their own thing in terms of body stampings, and expecting your run of the mill officer or even detective to know ALL of them for ALL the years is simply not realistic.   Same thing with your average DMV or title office employee.    Dash tag is all they will ever care about

anlauto

:iagree: there's even a lot of people that own these cars that don't know about those numbers....I've lost count of the amount of people that I've shown them for the first time... :looney:

torredcuda

Yup, I`ve had a number of vin verifications done by local police and all they do is look at the vin tag and write it on the form. The DMV officers are more knowledgeable as they deal with rebuilt cars and salvage titles etc. As I`ve said many times   :deadhorse: the only reason numbers were stamped into the body is for identification purposes due to theft so unless there is an ownership question most Leos don`t care about them, only us enthusiasts.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/