Main Menu

Convertible vs coupe - floors the same?

Started by miketyler, September 24, 2022, 09:47:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Today I checked the 70 AAR I'm restoring, and it was down, opposite of the AMD panel :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mk

Quote from: anlauto on October 04, 2022, 03:06:21 PM
Today I checked the 70 AAR I'm restoring, and it was down, opposite of the AMD panel :looney:
Yes for 1970 they should be down........ my 1970 cars are all down as well as the NOS 1970 rear footwells I have.

miketyler

Interesting that it's flanged up on later models. I did send them the pic of my rusted floor as proof. It makes sense building the part to suit the majority of models that are out there. Still a simple * note could be added as "for 70 application some mods may be required". But hell, maybe that just goes without saying for any aftermarket metal.

I'm moving on, going to look at pics more carefully though. AMD is a big player in the sheet metal market. I do see a few that have the correct stampings out there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133967432273

soundcontrol

Quote from: mk on October 04, 2022, 04:07:32 AM
Quote from: miketyler on October 03, 2022, 12:01:28 PM
You'd think they'd want to make their product better. Can't believe this response from them;

"Thank you for reaching out to us about your recent purchase.
The hole flanged up is correct, we get them from them manufacture like that.

You might need to adjust to fit your application, but all the ones we have on the shelve are going to be the same."

So they're right and we're all wrong. Will have to consider other suppliers in the future

I believe they were changed to that hole flanged up in later 71 or 72 and up.

My AMDs are flange up also, says 71-74 on them.

anlauto

Just checked AMD's website, they do have 70 only parts, then 71-74 parts have a different part number, so it looks like you ordered the wrong ones, or received the wrong ones...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

miketyler

No, I ordered the correct one. I suppose they may have marked it incorrectly. I'd sure like to know if anyone got a 70 from them that was correct and stamped down. 

anlauto

Well I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time something got packaged wrong...If you're building a resto-mod and not some OE Resto trailer queen, why are you worried about the "little details ?

RUNCHARGER

Not that hard to fix. Take it to your kid's sandbox along with your ball pein hammer.
Sheldon

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: soundcontrol on September 29, 2022, 12:52:10 PM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on September 29, 2022, 05:45:38 AM
I don't think anyone makes partial panels like that.  If you're set on patching, you'll have to buy a full pan and cut it up.

AMD makes just the rear pans, I have a pair.
All e-body convertibles needs subframe connectors IMO.

Thank you.  I am aware.  My understanding of the original post was that he wanted to patch his rear seat foot wells, not replace the entire panel with the AMD stuff, thus the comment of "nobody makes a patch, buy a whole one and cut it up"

Filthy Filbert

IF I can remember to, I'll look at mine when I get home tonight.   I looked through my pictures and don't have any of that area of the floor.   

I just got my car back from The Installation Center in Georgia and they used all AMD panels, so my car has AMD rear foot wells on it now.

miketyler

Quote from: anlauto on October 09, 2022, 07:37:25 AM
Well I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time something got packaged wrong...If you're building a resto-mod and not some OE Resto trailer queen, why are you worried about the "little details ?

It's just another job in the LONG list of things I have to do on this car. Some people enjoy the added work but I have too much of it right now. If they did send the wrong part I'd prefer they send another as I have plenty else to do in the meantime.

QuoteThank you.  I am aware.  My understanding of the original post was that he wanted to patch his rear seat foot wells, not replace the entire panel with the AMD stuff, thus the comment of "nobody makes a patch, buy a whole one and cut it up"

Yes, that's correct but after the screwdriver test decided best to replace it. I intend to patch the forward floor unless I find more rot. Sorry for the confusion

Filthy Filbert

Here's a pic of my pans that are AMD replacement pieces. 

One hole is 'up' and one hole is 'down'.  The lower hole is the one that's down

miketyler

Thanks! So it looks like I'm not the only one. I'll see if I can get a Greenlee and punch it out, flip it and weld it back in. This will be a very expensive car when done so looks are everything.

I did email my sales guy one last time and asked that he take it up with their supplier. All the ones they have for 70 are formed the same way. They are a respected name in repo metal and I'd think they'd want to correct a problem like this.  His reply was "We have sold plenty of them and we have not received a complaint on them. I have checked the 71 models and they have the same Hole Flange up."   

anlauto

I'm confused, you're building a resto-mod so why are you hung up on correctness of OE details ? I understand the "strength" aspect, but with a Hellcarate motor, who's going to care about the floor plugs ?

Jay Bee

I thought it's also just for general public information.  :dunno: