Main Menu

Cuda conv.body/door problem

Started by soundcontrol, June 28, 2020, 01:55:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

I'm asking for a friend if mine. He has a Cuda convertible that been in restoration for 15 years now, he left it to a shop for replacing floor and quarter panels, they also installed subframe connectors. Now, they apparently did not check gaps before welding the quarters and they I believe they welded in the floor and the subframe connectors while the car was in a rotisserie. Not good. It was many years ago and that company is long gone, so no going back there.

As you can see the doors do not fit at all now.

Now, the question is, when fixing this, how would you body experts start when having an issue like this.
It could be that the whole body is bent, or the quarters could be welded in wrong...
Would you put it in a frame jig and measure everything according the the FSM?

1 Wild R/T

Start by taking measurements, find out whats right & whats wrong...Then the cutting & welding will begin.... Bad deal, what a mess...

anlauto

Is the gap issue the same when it's sitting on all four wheels ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

It is hard to know what they did but I would not assume the worst just yet. I would put in on the wheels and see if the gaps change. I am guessing they will not change much. You might be able to adjust doors, front fenders, etc and get a decent result afterward. If it is tighter at the top or bottom of the door, it may be possible to find another solution before cutting things loose.

I do agree that taking good measurements is a great place to begin though.

Rich G.

I'd also cut the frame connectors off and see how it sits. Lots of flex in a convertible.

torredcuda

The best way to really tell is put it on a frame machine or body jig to make sure it`s not bent in the middle. Do you have a pic of the bottom of door to rocker gap becuase if the front of the door is adjusted low the gap at top rear will be wider? Also check the door opening on both sides to see if it`s the same.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

soundcontrol

The picture with the bad door gap is when the car is on its wheels.
I have not seen it in person yet, just pictures.
I can assume the door is set to "normal" gap at the rocker panel.

I might stop by his place next time in Stockholm and check it out, would be nice to help him with this nightmare.
If I go there, what measurements should I take? Don't think he can get it on a frame jig right now.

RUNCHARGER

I think it's fixable but it will take some careful investigation to see what is wrong. I would say the top of the quarter is pushed in too far towards the center of the car from that one shot. You'll have to see what the bottom of the gap looks like as well as the rocker to door gap and how close the top of the front of the door is in relation to the windshield post.
It would be nice if another Cuda was there to take some comparison measurements from.
If the problem turned out to be the back drooping because the subframe connectors were welded in with the back drooping I would probably shore up at the firewall and under the front seats, slice both subframe connectors left to right, jack up the back evenly on both sides and weld them back up. That might not be whats wrong though.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 28, 2020, 05:10:32 PM
I think it's fixable but it will take some careful investigation to see what is wrong. I would say the top of the quarter is pushed in too far towards the center of the car from that one shot. You'll have to see what the bottom of the gap looks like as well as the rocker to door gap and how close the top of the front of the door is in relation to the windshield post.
It would be nice if another Cuda was there to take some comparison measurements from.
If the problem turned out to be the back drooping because the subframe connectors were welded in with the back drooping I would probably shore up at the firewall and under the front seats, slice both subframe connectors left to right, jack up the back evenly on both sides and weld them back up. That might not be whats wrong though.

Earlier I was on my way out the door when I commented... I think Sheldon is correct, the frame connectors were welding in with the car on a frame contact lift & possibly the doors weren't even attached....

Some convertibles are pretty solid, some are like a wet noodle.... Frame connectors help allot, but they need to be installed with the car lifted on a four post lift....

I also agree the quarters might need tweaking....

soundcontrol

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 28, 2020, 05:10:32 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Could I use my Barracuda to compare with, even though it's not a convertible? Not sure if the windshield location is the same on them...
I do have another friend with a convertible, but its not drivable and far from Stockholm.  I could measure it though, I can probably figure out many good points to measure.

anlauto

I think the only measurement that you could use from a hardtop would be across the top of the door jamb.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

That's the first measurement I would compare alright. I would take your hardtop with you if possible. I know I was sure happy to have my orange Challenger to look at when fixing the gaps on my green one.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on June 29, 2020, 03:23:22 PM
I think the only measurement that you could use from a hardtop would be across the top of the door jamb.

Yep!  Any other measurement tips are welcome. Gonna stop by my friend soon and measure.
Quarter edge in door jamb to some point backwards would show if the quarter is OK.

Spikedog08

Wow sad situation!  :huh:  Hope you get it worked out! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!