Main Menu

Cuda door and side window replacement

Started by Spikedog08, January 20, 2017, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So I have a project going where I am replacing the side and door glass in my 70 cuda convertible.  I put the glass in this car when I restored it and sad to say when I did the restoration, there was not a good source for the new glass.  I ended up buying some repops that I drove to Chicago to pick up and after some checking  . . . they were not the exact same curve as the original.  I did get the new stuff installed but never fit right no matter how much I tried to adjust.  So I have been just dealing with it as most of the time, the glass is down . . so out of sight . . . out of mind.   ::)

I went to the Mopar show in Canada this year for the first time and leaving the car in the lot, I have to roll up the windows of course . . . just bugs me that it looks so sh!tty . . . So I have bought some new replacement glass that I'm told will fit better!  Excited!    :drunk: 

I started with the passenger door, got the old glass out and the new glass into the door.  While attaching the scissors to the rear attachment, the glass shattered.   :huh:    I pretty much just stopped, turned off the lights and went in for a beer . . . or 10.  Next day, I started cleaning up all the glass (still am) and trying to figure out what went wrong? 

So my question is, look at the picture below, am I missing something that attaches to the metal bracket where the screw for the bracket attaches?  Is there a plastic washer that goes between the glass and the bracket?  All help is always greatly appreciated!   I have the replacement now for the one that I broke.
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

MOST important part is a little 1/4" long piece of rubber hose that cover any bolt any passes through the glass. For example in your picture, when you bolt that triangle piece to the glass there is a threaded stud that goes through the glass, it needs a rubber hose over it, then a hard paper washer, then the nut.
Same goes for the vertical channel that bolts along the bottom of the glass. That 1/4-20 bolt should have rubber hose over it as well.

Very important step. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Another thing VERY IMPORTANT....Between that vertical channel and the glass is a metal washer at that rear bolt in your picture. It's a special washer with a raised center :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Spikedog08

Quote from: anlauto on January 20, 2017, 11:50:37 AM
MOST important part is a little 1/4" long piece of rubber hose that cover any bolt any passes through the glass. For example in your picture, when you bolt that triangle piece to the glass there is a threaded stud that goes through the glass, it needs a rubber hose over it, then a hard paper washer, then the nut.
Same goes for the vertical channel that bolts along the bottom of the glass. That 1/4-20 bolt should have rubber hose over it as well.

Very important step. :alan2cents:

Well I can tell you that I have nothing that looks like what you are describing . . .  :thinking:

Cuda Cody

Let me see if I have some photos of some I've done in the past....  stand by:

Cuda Cody

I can zoom in (get you close ups) on any of these photos if it helps.  I'll look for more photos too...

anlauto

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 20, 2017, 11:56:56 AM

Well I can tell you that I have nothing that looks like what you are describing . . .  :thinking:

If you didn't have the washer in place as well as the rubber hose, that's why your glass broke...I've been there and done that many years ago.

HP_Cuda

Here is a pic of the backing gasket to the metal triangle and the washer with raised portion.

I did not have the rubber piece but cut a piece of 3/8 vapor line to show you what it looks like.

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

I'm just looking at some of my old photos in hopes of finding some that help you see what you need to see.  A bunch of E-Body window photos....

Cuda Cody

Some more photos....

anlauto

Cody's 4th picture down of the green door shows the washer I'm talking about. Without that your glass will break :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

This photo?

Quote from: anlauto on January 20, 2017, 12:45:18 PM
Cody's 4th picture down of the green door shows the washer I'm talking about. Without that your glass will break :alan2cents:

Spikedog08

anlauto

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 20, 2017, 01:12:09 PM
So is it just a nylon washer?   :lookatthat:
Yes Cody that's the picture thanks...
NO...it's steel.

Cuda Cody

That's one of the reasons I love going through the swap meets.  Finding those little hard to get pieces that you have to have when putting these cars back together.  Does anyone even repop those?