Main Menu

Cuda quarter window structure reinforcing plate

Started by shredder, February 19, 2022, 09:08:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

shredder

Has anyone ever seen these thick steel reinforcing plates in a Cuda?

cudamadd

I have never seen that be for  I do not think it  was from the factory  :notsure:

Dmod1974

I assume this is from a 74?  My 74 Challenger had these too.

shredder

Yes 74 Cuda

The plates are factory made, identical in every dimension, even upper hole is countersunk.

Dmod1974

Agreed.  They're definitely factory.  74's had a number of other body reinforcements for safety purposes which is why they weigh more than earlier years.

PLY474

My 74 BS has it.  Do 74's have an additional roof brace(s) too? 

shredder

That's interesting. I will probably put them back in, I think the extra stiffening is a good trade for a few pounds of extra weight.

I will look at the roof structure to see if it has extra reinforcing there also.

Was this a result of DOT recommendations?  For example, the side marker light design change was a result of DOT saying they weren't visible enough

Scooter

Have them in my 74 challenger as well. Thought it was added by previous owner. Mystery solved.

Dmod1974

I'm sure NHTSA had a large part behind it.  A good rule of thumb is that OEM's never spend money on engineering, tooling, and manufacturing for things that won't provide a competitive advantage or something that will increase sales unless a government agency is forcing them to do so.  Safety, regulations, EPA, etc...

PLY474

Quote from: Dmod1974 on February 20, 2022, 10:04:58 AM
I'm sure NHTSA had a large part behind it.  A good rule of thumb is that OEM's never spend money on engineering, tooling, and manufacturing for things that won't provide a competitive advantage or something that will increase sales unless a government agency is forcing them to do so.  Safety, regulations, EPA, etc...

You're right. I found this NHTSA timeline link that shows the regulations over the years.  I put a red arrow to the new ones for e-bodies, including the darn ignition interlock.  https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/communications/pdf/Lives-Saved-Tech-Timeline.pdf

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

PLY474

A little more digging into the Roof Crush Resistance regulation.  According to this link, FMVSS 216 went into effect on September 1, 1973.  https://www.citizen.org/wp-content/uploads/chronology_of_roof_crush_standard.pdf   

I suppose it's possible they started late in the 1973 model year.  This 1973 Cuda has a 8/22/73 door sticker build date, so getting real close to 9/1.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/144422075146?hash=item21a039fb0a:g:2GMAAOSwWLFiEKjm

I found these photos of a 73 single roof brace and a 74 double roof brace.  My guess is the plates are used reduce deflection of the C-pillar during the crush test. 

Dmod1974

My 74 has 2 braces as well.  The date the standards are in effect and enforced is probably not the same as when the OEM's became compliant, so I'm not surprised if they introduced those changes ahead of time.

shredder

This is the roof structure in the 74 Cuda. I have often heard of a built in roll bar. I guess that is the structure in the back?

PLY474

Nice pictures.  Thanks for that.  I think you're right regarding the rear "roll bar" structure.