Main Menu

Custom fender flares on a 1970 Challenger

Started by Brads70, December 30, 2016, 06:31:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Not being one to " leave well enough alone. I decided I wanted to run 18x11 rims with 315/30R18 tires up front. So to do this necessitated custom front fenders. I saved my original rust free California fenders and bought a pair of AMD replacements to play with. I then scored a new in the box english wheel form my local Kijiji. I had never used one before but after a few hours practice I felt I was getting the hang of it and started building my new fenders. Watch your fingers/thumbs on the english wheel!  :D

Brads70

Here is the new 18" rims next to the old 15" rims

Brads70

This is with the new AMD fenders placed on to see what needs to be done

Brads70

Well? no turning back at this point.

Brads70

Top panel first. I did scrap one top panel in making these. ( pictures make it look easy)

Brads70

Next came the side panels I did them in 2 pieces per side. I also welded in the original wheel arches.

Brads70

Metal work all done, original turn signal metal welded back in. I did have to rework the  lower wheel arches for tire clearance when at full lock. It was a lot of work welding , basically you do a spot weld ( mig) and immediately cool it off with the airline to prevent warping. Then grind down all the thousands of welds. It was a fun project but I can't say I'd want to do it again anytime soon. 

Cuda Cody

This is so IMPRESSIVE!   :perfect10:  I need to make a new smiley just for you.... stand by.

Brads70

Minimal bondo, then paint. I'm not happy with the paint as in low light its not a very good match to the rest of the car, but it will have to do till I can afford to paint the entire car....

Cuda Cody

You are so amazing I had to make this smiley for you!    :bradsthumb:

Brads70

With in hours of finishing this I drove it down to Carlisle, made the 7-8 hour drive no issues. Amazing to drive on the hwy on ramps!  While at Carlisle it was fun to see the steady stream of people looking at it. Most came over and poked/tapped the fenders to see if they were steel or fiberglass. I expected a pile of negative comments as most Mopar enthusiasts are purists, but I was really surprised at all the attention it got, all positive? Mopar Muscle magazine came over and asked to take a few pictures. It ended up in the December 2014 edition! I was very surprised!  It also ended up on the front cover of bangshift.com!
http://bangshift.com/general-news/event-coverage/chryslers-carlisle-collection-nothing-b-e-body-photos-cool-iron-abounds/

Spikedog08

I have seen this impressive work in person and it is simply amazing!   :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Brads70

Thanks guys!  I get board easy if I have nothing to do. Other than paint I think I'm finished though?   I'm really Jonesing for a 71 AMC Javelin to make into a Mark Donohue clone......  I have a " thing" for Trans Am cars  :yes:
Besides I have a set of 15" Minilite rims kicking around doing nothing, I might as well find a car to put them on?  :)

303 Mopar

That AMC would be sweet!   :inlove:

A buddy of mine here in Denver has a gorgeous Pontiac TA, and his dad is really into AMC Javelin's.  Some consider him THE guru in the U.S.  Here is a pic and quick video of his Javelin.

Brads70

Nice I'm facebook " friends" with the guy that ( Wayne Davis) has the clone racecar, same guy as your video I'm guessing. It was for sale on e-bay awhile back.