Main Menu

DIY front/rear windshield installation?

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, July 06, 2017, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I have new glass and new seal ropes to install my front and back glass.

Should I DIY this or have someone come and install it? It seems straight forward, but I may be underestimating how hard it is to get a good fit and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

I don't think it's very hard, but I've only watched people do it.  My local guy does mobile service and it's so cheap I don't mess with it.

wannadrag

Its easy,just have a helper so you can get it centered

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 06, 2017, 02:03:43 PM
I don't think it's very hard, but I've only watched people do it.  My local guy does mobile service and it's so cheap I don't mess with it.

May I ask what they've charged you to set the glass?
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

I suppose it's a good time to ask about the process.

I assume, clean the glass and sealing surface.

Install the trim clips.

Apply the seal to the glass.

Center and press glass into frame

?

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

usraptor

It's not hard to do.  The trick is getting it at the right height so that the molding will clip to the clips and there is no gap between the molding and glass.  I've done my back window twice and need to do it again as the first time the glass was too high and the second time it was too low.  There was a thread on here about installing glass that I thought I bookmarked but naturally now I can't find it.  It described what thickness butyl to use and also suggested putting the butyl down in the window track first, without removing the paper and laying the glass on top of it to test fit it to make sure you don't have any high or low spots.  Below is another article I had bookmarked about installing glass:   http://www.route66restorations.com/Install.html
Here's the thread that was posted here: https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/windshieldrear-glass-install-tips/826/

1 Wild R/T

Ribbon seal is applied to the body.... inside edge of the flange.....

install the trim clips, before applying the ribbon seal place the glass in the opening & center it....view the gap all around to get an idea of how much space should be on each side... generally I use paint stir sticks as shims at the bottom & sides to help center the glass when the seal is in place...  After the glass hits the seal you don't get a second shot....

Remove the glass, clean the glass & the flange, apply the ribbon seal The joint should be on the side & while it shouldn't overlap it does need to connect..

Two people to install the glass, carefully potion the glass then set it....  Look through the glass at the seal, it should be a solid black line, any gaps  means a leak..... Use the palm of your hands to apply pressure, work the whole edge, localized hard pressure might crack the glass... I never have but I know of one guy who did but he probably overlapped the ribbon ....

I would post more but I've gotta go...

RUNCHARGER

1) Make sure your windshield posts are blacked out or they will show EV2 (or whatever bright colour your car is) through the glass.
2) Drill trim holes and install clips.
3) Carefully set glass in and see what it takes to make a uniform gap all around. I myself make shims out of whatever rubber might be around the shop. I just shim the bottom but you have to note your side gaps so you can center the glass. Do this step with your helper.
4) Pinch weld primer.
5) Install the ribbon as Wild states.
6) For the windshield, make sure the side windows are down. At that point I have a blanket on the roof with the glass resting on it. You and your helper can now pick up the glass. You want one hand through the side window to support the glass with your other hand on the outside surface of the glass. One of you can bring the glass close to the ribbon but don't touch it, have it positioned like it will go straight into the opening though. At this point the other person can guide their lower corner in, when it just barely touches then the other side can be lowered to the ribbon as well. At this point it's all over and you just go around patting it in. As Wild has stated, make sure the ribbon shows black through the glass, this is how you know it is sealed.

I find the glass install really easy and it's the one thing i let my wife help me with. The other thing is convenience, It's a real PITA trying to line up an installer, take time off work etc. to make it all work. They don't generally charge much though.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

Must I install the trim clips before the glass? It seems like something else to bump into and may cause issues during the install.

Thanks

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Yes, you'll never get them in after. My glass guy also uses a special primer on both the car and the glass before he puts the butyl tape. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: anlauto on July 10, 2017, 11:33:52 AM
Yes, you'll never get them in after. My glass guy also uses a special primer on both the car and the glass before he puts the butyl tape. :alan2cents:

Thank you. I have someone coming to quote the install for me and I'll be sure to have the clips popped in if the number is right.

It's getting there!

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

That's looking good. Pinch weld primer is what you use before the tape, it comes in a small bottle with a bottle brush.
Sheldon

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

I remember when I did mine, first time doing anything like that, I talked the wife into helping along with a couple of little rubber blocks which came with the sealer for spacing.  Came out ok and no leaks.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 06, 2017, 05:30:35 PM
1) Make sure your windshield posts are blacked out or they will show EV2 (or whatever bright colour your car is) through the glass

This part of your post really got my attention since my posts are NOT black on an FY1 car.

I would really not prefer to spray any paint on the car if I can help it. Could I foam brush black here?

I assume I will want to scuff it, paint it and leave adequate cure time so that the pinch weld primer and ribbon seal will get something good to bond to?

I am not sure what type of paint I should be looking to use here.

Should I worry about painting anything but the apillars? What about the back glass? 

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

Your tape will need to be in further if that is your paint line.  You really want to paint the window area all around so yellow does not show through at all.  3M makes a black primer or you can use some trim black.

https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Black_Out_Sill_Pillar.pdf

You can spray it out on something and brush it on.    In the photo you can kinda see the way I black them out.  Sorry I have not taken many photos of the blackout area before the windshield goes in.