Main Menu

DODGE hood letters installation?

Started by 750-h2, February 19, 2017, 06:27:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Need some help installing these. I just purchased the Mopar Dodge hood letters for my 1970 Challenger. The steel pins on the back of the letters have a hard plastic sleeve on them that does not appear to be removable. Are these letters installed with speed nuts that would bite into the plastic on the pins or are they simply a pressure fit without any speed nuts?  Thanks!

anlauto

The plastic pin covers just pull off no problem. Just did two sets recently.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

I thought they were push in?   :thinking:  Let me go look.....

Cuda Cody

@750-h2   Looks like the ones I have push in without any nut.  Hard to see in the photo but they have a little lip they push over that holds them in place.  Double checked 2 NOS sets and they both had the push style plastic pins with lips too.  Not sure if they changed at some point in time?   :notsure:

anlauto

@Cuda Cody  Yes they can "also" just push in, but do you have any original untouched 70-71 hoods that you can look at ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

My original 70 used speed nuts, I remember removing them in 1980.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Good question, I don't think I do.   :(

Maybe I just thought they pushed in because I saw the lip on the plastic.   :huh: 

Quote from: anlauto on February 19, 2017, 08:47:46 AM
@Cuda Cody  Yes they can "also" just push in, but do you have any original untouched 70-71 hoods that you can look at ?

750-h2

Thanks guys!  So seeing how the sleeves can be pulled off I guess I have 2 options. First one would be to get rid of the plastic sleeves and find the right size of speed nut, not sure if the pins are too thin and will break? Second option would be to secure the letters by sliding the plastic sleeves back on the pins after the letter is installed on the hood.  Has anyone had success with the speed nut method?

anlauto

Yes I just did two cars using speed nuts as the factory did in 70-71 :alan2cents:

headejm

These came off my 1970.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

MoparDave

I recall off an original hood I picked up back in 86 had a stamped nut.
the new emblems do come with nylon barrel clips that snap in.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Burdar

QuoteThese came off my 1970.

That's how my 73 is as well.  The tail panel letters on the 72-74 cars use plastic retainers but the hood letters use nuts.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: MoparDave on February 21, 2017, 05:49:46 AM

Those nuts aren't even close....

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 17, 2017, 05:41:38 PM
Quote from: MoparDave on February 21, 2017, 05:49:46 AM

Those nuts aren't even close....

I agree totally  :iagree: