Main Menu

Does anyone repair plastic grills anymore? And do you want more?

Started by Mr Cuda, March 14, 2023, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Moparmade

cuda hunter

There was a dentist on CC.com that I was friends with in the past.  His name was Andrew.
He repaired grills with the special glues made for teeth.   He swore by the dental products.
His work was awesome.
Wasn't out of control price wise. 

I would expect that the "experts" would be at shop rate.  100-150 an hour.  10 hours repair plus materials and paint time. 
   That would make the repair more than the 1400 reproduction plus the 500$ stainless steel pieces for the reproduction.   2000 for the reproduction 70 grill.   
  The 71 grill is only 1100 for the OER.  Not sure who else makes the grill.  Seems cheap.
None of these prices include shipping.  Which would probably be in the 400 range for a grill as it is oversized and would have to be crated for protection.

Well worth repairing your original grills at home. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

With the quality of the new reproduction 71 grills, I would never consider fixing a 52 year old original :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

I guess it depends on who's money is buying it.
Some people bake bread, some buy it.

And if i knew 40 years ago,  that everything would be reproduced,  I wouldn't have had to have bought and stored so much stuff.
But here we are.

cuda hunter

Quote from: anlauto on March 18, 2023, 10:11:07 AM
With the quality of the new reproduction 71 grills, I would never consider fixing a 52 year old original :alan2cents:
Who makes the best quality 71 grill? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Not sure the "name" of the manufacture, but it's the one everybody is selling...Roseville comes to mind... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mr Cuda

So we all know most glues don't work.  Superglue does,  but it's best if you can clamp for full contact cure. Then there's the issue of gaps, bent off tabs and using parts from several grills.
Many years ago,  I used a solvent to melt scrap grill material into a thin slurry. Then i would brush on coat after coat till the crack was filled and sand down the extra.  Really slow.
Before  YouTube  I found a product at my autobody supply store and have used it since.
Here's a good YouTube of the general idea.  I don't smoke, and to burn up that many,  you can just buy the plastic bonding power. I use Qbond.
  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVZwIPy9wB4

For my repair,  I  bevel the edges so the bonding powder has more surface area to bond it.
Tape up for good fit, back fill and tap the powder in and soak with superglue.
How strong is it? The last 3 pictures of a previously repaired grill that had a corner from a different grill with gaps filled with powder,  it's holding a mini sledge. (5lbs?)
The hammer is heavy enough that i had to support the grill directly at the corner,  or it would pull the grill off the stand

Moparmade

cuda hunter

Qbond, I had not heard of that one before.  Interesting sounding product.
Looks like it works well.               https://qbond.com/     
I will get some of this and try it out.   

I use different viscosities of Cyanoacrylate glue.
Mainly two products. 
Hot stuff                  www.shellac.net/hot-stuff-instant-glue-super-glue-.html
and Paleobond.         paleobond.com/product/getting-started-kit/

I used the hotstuff for wood working and stone working and used the paleobond specifically for my dinosaurs and fossils that I collect.   
Turns out the glues work well for everything including plastics.  The gap fillers work really well. 

Mr Cuda

I'll accept that I'm a dinosaur.
New grills is where it's at.
I painted the 71 argent as it had numerous repair sections,  and I  didn't want to finish it off well enough for gloss color.
Plus it's going in a black car, so argent.
  I have another one to strip down,  to paint orange,  with only a couple repairs.  So it should have less finish work.  Removing argent is tedious,  along with masking to paint.
Pictures of a 70 and 71.

anlauto