Main Menu

Door Latch

Started by Car-nutt, June 06, 2017, 11:19:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Car-nutt

Hello everyone, I would like to clean up my door latches. What would be the best method? I was thinking of cleaning them in Lacquer Thinner. Is there anything I should be careful of?

Cuda Cody

I've put them in my parts washer before and that seems to work well.  They are pretty tough and hold up well to a good bit of cleaning.  After you are done, lube them up good.    :alan2cents:

Quote from: Car-nutt on June 06, 2017, 11:19:29 AM
Hello everyone, I would like to clean up my door latches. What would be the best method? I was thinking of cleaning them in Lacquer Thinner. Is there anything I should be careful of?

Shane Kelley

I have used Aircraft stripper on those and anything with old grease and grime like window regulators. Eats it off. Just don't leave it on to long or it will turn parts black. I usually lay the part on a piece of cardboard and pour the stripper all over the part. Then I use a acid brush and work all the grease and grime loose. Wash off with a hose. Cleans them real nice. I use the same method for aluminum parts also. Be sure and wear safety glasses and gloves.

Claudia

Quote from: Car-nutt on June 06, 2017, 11:19:29 AM

I ran both of my door latches through a media blaster which worked really great for getting everything that was built up cleaned off of the latch but it did take some time to clean afterwards to ensure all of the media was removed from the latches before refinishing them and installing back into the doors.  :alan2cents:

JS29

Brake cleaner might do the trick! IF you media blast,I would try walnut shell or glass beads. Sand is to aggressive in my opinion .  :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

The problem with blasting them is that will take the plating off. Now if your going to re plate or paint them that's fine. But if you want to keep plating you need a chemical. (Parts washer, Brake clean, Paint stripper)