Main Menu

Door Latches?

Started by Marty73, June 22, 2020, 09:29:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty73

In the process of putting a new door on my 73 and stripped out the door latch screws trying to get them out of the original door. I tried drilling out the screws and have blasted through two carbide tipped bits and my frustration level is at 9.

Anybody know if they re-pop these things? I need he drivers side. At this point I'd rather just buy a new latch!

TIA!
  Marty
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Mopar5

Can you tack weld something onto the screw to back it out? You could start off with building up some tacks on the screw to get some height above the door then put a nut on it.

Marty73

I could try, but my welding skills are lacking (that is putting it kindly)
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Mopar5

Well then are you starting off with a small bit and graduating up to larger bits with oil for cooloing? Im suprised you are burning up bits

fc7cuda

anlauto

Quote from: Mopar5 on June 22, 2020, 12:50:54 PM
Well then are you starting off with a small bit and graduating up to larger bits with oil for cooloing? Im suprised you are burning up bits

I agree, the screws are NOT harden steel, they should drill out no problem :alan2cents:  I've done it lots before. :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

Always keep in mind with an e body use care and never destroy a part by assuming you can just get a new one .OEM parts are preferable if you can salvage them.

Mr Lee

Yeah fun stuff.  That sux. If you have a dremel tool with a little cut-off wheel, you can cut a slot into the screw and then try a flathead screwdriver... or an impact driver.   Pound on the back of the screwdriver with a hammer.  That can help break the rust loose and help seat the screwdriver into the slot.  Also squirt some WD40 or rust loosening spray of your choice in there.  Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Marty73

All good advice - thanks guys

I'll by some more bits and try again. If I can get it our of the door and into a better position to get to the screws I can throw some penetrating oil on it and hopefully use back-outs to them out.

:thankyou:
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack