Main Menu

Door Regulator Window Channel Slides

Started by 71vert340, August 18, 2024, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I found that each of the doors on the Challenger won't roll up properly due to the regulator sliders that go in the widow track are broken. I have new sliders but have a couple of questions for those who have replaced them. It looks easy enough to grind off the flattened metal peg that holds the slider into the arm to remove the broken one. Once the new slider is installed, how have those of you who have replaced them flattened the peg so it stays in the arm? With a center punch or...? As long as I'm this far, I'm going to replace the plastic parts. You can see the white new slider in the photos. Thanks for any information. See photos.
Terry W.

Xghobo

Install new slider and hold on vise or anvil, make a cross or an x with a chisel, yes hit it with a BFH, then
Hit with a ball pean hammer to flatten.

71vert340

I didn't see the response in time so... I bit the bullet and replaced the slider piece myself taking it slow. I ground off the peened over peg on the old slider and removed it by lightly tapping with a punch and hammer. It came out easy. I installed the new slider/peg into the arm and laid the plastic side down on a 1/2" steel plate so as not to break the new slider plastic piece. With the peg up, I used a center punch and using a ball peen hammer, I lightly punched a mark in the center of the peg. I then used the ball peen hammer (ball side) and sharply tapped on the peg several times. This mushroomed the peg tightly in the arm. I continued to peen the peg over until it was a rounded hump covering the entire hole in the arm. It is very snug now.
Terry W.

71vert340

Well, the window is installed and all is working great. I just need to readjust the door hinges because once I added the weight of everything, I have a slight misalignment of the door. No big deal. I now get to do the other side. Woohoo!
 Terry W.