Main Menu

Door skin low spot

Started by fireguyfire, August 11, 2019, 06:18:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I am working on a door, and have welded a new lower door skin on; I was very careful welding the skin on, and did it over a couple of days so as not to overheat and warp it.
Prepping the door for paint now and see that I have a big circular low spot dead center on the door and the middle of the weld seam; the low spot is roughly about 12" around, and is 1/4" deep at its lowest spot ( the middle).
I spent some time today with a straight edge and the unispotter; after welding several studs on and trying to pull the low spot up with the slide hammer, I'm not really making much progress.

Can anyone that knows more about body work than I do make some suggestions on how I can fix this big shallow "crater"? I really don't want to fill it with filler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty

Try this.

Grip the studs and keep an even outward pressure on the dent. If you're using the pull hammer, don't use the slide weight. Take a body hammer and tap around the outboard edge of the dent. Move from stud to stud till the panel is as close to level as possible. Add more studs if needed. You may have to use some filler to fine-tune the repair. If you want to go further, you can run a metal shrinking disc over the area. That will take some time though.

JS29

:iagree:  Start at the shallow end and work to the deep part.  :alan2cents:

Mopar5

If you can get a dolly behind it you may want to try peening the weld beads to take some of the shrink out of bead.