Main Menu

Dry ice blasting

Started by 70 Top Banana, April 21, 2021, 04:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Top Banana

Hey, has anyone tried dry ice blasting on your car.? Supposedly, it does a great job and is less abrasive as other types of media blasting. It will clean what needs done and you don't have to do all the prep work you would need to do for other types.  Not sure what it costs either. I have a car with very old undercoat (maybe when bought new) and I would like to get rid of it.

cuda hunter

I've wanted to do this.  There are mobile units that come to your property. 
Doesn't leave a bunch of crap in your driveway with the exception of the paint and undercoat. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70 Top Banana

My thoughts exactly. I saw a demonstration video. Mobile unit went to the house of a guy who had a lift. They put plastic drop cloth around the outside of the lift. The company guy doing the blasting went under the lift did his work and swept up the stuff that came off the car with a broom and dust pan. That was all the mess! Also, you can be very specific and not have to take the car apart.

cuda hunter

I've seen them advertised in Texas and kansas but not in Colorado yet. 
There was a mobile blasting unit but not dry ice. I think it was sand or medium.
Would love to have one come to my place for it.  Got a link for the video you saw? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Interesting concept....It's neat how people are constantly looking for other methods to strip cars....I remember when "soda-blasting" came on to the scene..pictures or videos of people blasting cars with all the windows and trim still on the car.....I could never figure out why you would want to do that ??? :huh:

Dry ice sounds neat, but like soda, I can't see it doing very well on rust  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

"Dry ice sounds neat, but like soda, I can't see it doing very well on rust" You're probably right Alan, but think how nice and cold the beer would get!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"